Cherry Head Habitat & Care

Timmis

Location (City and/or State)
Novi, MI
Hello All,

I recently purchased a baby cherry head tortoise from a reputable breeder, this is my first tortoise so I did a lot of research before I got it.

Lately the tortoise whos name is Mikey (my son named him after his favorite ninja turtle, Michael Angelo) has not been opening his eyes. We took him to the vet and he said he has a respiratory infection, he gave him 2 antibiotic shots, one on Tuesday and one today. He seems to be getting better, he’s starting to open his eyes a little so I have some hope he’s getting better. I am just trying to prevent this from happening again.

He is soaked every morning in Luke warm water for about 15- 20 minutes.

He has a 30 gallon glass terrarium with a screen top, I use repitbark and organic soil for his bedding and I have a fogger that turns on and off every hour and runs for 30 minutes. I just purchased a CHE lamp to use rather than a traditional lighted lamp. I am trying to find a balance for the heat and humidity but it is difficult because my house is always cold, per the wife instructions, I am moving him into my office with the vents closed off to keep it warmer for him.

His diet consists of romaine lettuce, kale, greens and a fruit like a strawberry, banana or blueberry every few days. I also have a calcium block in his terrarium.

Any advice to keep Mikey‘s living situation better and to prevent any future illnesses will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Welcome to the forums!

I highly suggest providing pictures of the enclosure as well as pictures of the tort itself (front, side, and underneath views). I'd also recommend looking over this caresheet linked below:

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Welcome to the forums!

I highly suggest providing pictures of the enclosure as well as pictures of the tort itself (front, side, and underneath views). I'd also recommend looking over this caresheet linked below:

Ditch the fogger immediately. Cold water droplets/mist cause respiratory illnesses in torts. I'll let more experienced owners go into upping temps & other solutions to support your baby's illness. But ditch the fogger now!!

Photos of your tort & enclosure would help as well.