Cherry tomato and red pepper for Tallula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Alllooooo :)

I just wanted to check if it's ok that I give Tallula a small cherry tomato as a treat, maybe once a week, and a few small pieces of red pepper? :)

Thanks!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Oh and what about white radish leaves?? :D Can that be part of her meal? Ive read through diet sheets for her, but can't seem to find it, and am sure someone mentioned it before! :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Alllooooo :)

I just wanted to check if it's ok that I give Tallula a small cherry tomato as a treat, maybe once a week, and a few small pieces of red pepper? :)

Thanks!

Hello Stace
Hermy loves red pepper bells, I give a bit to him maybe once per 2 week. He also loves tomatoes but I only give him a little bit once a month.
Sorry but I dont know about the raddish leaves.
Check the link below, Robyn made an amazing list of what our tortoises can eat :D. It gives ideas, I love this list.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ok fantastic, thanks again Isa :p I will remember that ! Only a treat every long once in a while :D

Oh yes, I have that info on the link saved in my email drafts for quick use :) The guys at the grocery store close to my work are morons, they don't know anything about most of the things on the list lol! Must try another store for more stuff. I've been feeding Tallula Chicory and parsley sliced & mixed, this morning the same with some grated carrots on top :) But i'd like to vary her diet as much as I can hehe, you know, typical mom thing hehe. DOn't want her to get bored I suppose.
I'm going to bath her again tonight in a little bit deeper water, like maybe 2.5cm or so..

Thanks for everything! I LOVE this forum, I am on it ALL day reading up on things :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Ok fantastic, thanks again Isa :p I will remember that ! Only a treat every long once in a while :D

Oh yes, I have that info on the link saved in my email drafts for quick use :) The guys at the grocery store close to my work are morons, they don't know anything about most of the things on the list lol! Must try another store for more stuff. I've been feeding Tallula Chicory and parsley sliced & mixed, this morning the same with some grated carrots on top :) But i'd like to vary her diet as much as I can hehe, you know, typical mom thing hehe. DOn't want her to get bored I suppose.
I'm going to bath her again tonight in a little bit deeper water, like maybe 2.5cm or so..

Thanks for everything! I LOVE this forum, I am on it ALL day reading up on things :)

You are welcome :D
Same here, the guys at the food store near my place dont know nothing!!!! When I asked one of them if they keep the greens on the turnip, he looked at me as if I was a weirdo and asked me if I wanted to put that in a salad lol. Do they sell escarole and raddichio at your food store? Because Hermy loves to eat that. Hermy hates parsley, I already offered some to him, when he chew on the piece of parsley, he made a face (as if to say, "mommy why would you give me that, shame on you!") and removed the piece of his mouth with his arm :D it was too cute.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Awwww that is soooo cute !!!!!! Tallula did that with a blackberry, she ate a whole one before, but gave her another one and she pulled that exact face - TOO CUTE ! I am just totally crazy about her hehe.

The guy at the store didn't know what escarole was, and neither do I, I dunno what raddichio is either heehee. I will go to another food store and ask them! The one closest to my house. Dubai just doesn't seem very "greens" oriented at all lol, or tortoise oriented that for sure. Luckily found a good tort vet if needed!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Awww thanks for the pics ! Helps alot! Im gonna print the and take them to the store hehehe.

Ummm a popular meal....pizza :D HAHA. Otherwise, pretty normal really....lebanese food is SO yummo! I eat anything though :p They dnt have anything really different here. Find some gooood indian curries here to, oooohhhh yum!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Stazz said:
Awww thanks for the pics ! Helps alot! Im gonna print the and take them to the store hehehe.

Ummm a popular meal....pizza :D HAHA. Otherwise, pretty normal really....lebanese food is SO yummo! I eat anything though :p They dnt have anything really different here. Find some gooood indian curries here to, oooohhhh yum!

Thanks for the info Stace, Hmm Pizza, I love pizzaaa :D.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Radish leaves are good. Radish sprouts are Trevor's favorite food. The Asian market near me has all sorts of tort yummies. At a lot of the stores though, greens are mislabeled.

Do they not sell bagged salad like spring mix?

30mqrus.jpg

Stazz

5 Year Member
Ok great, so I can give Tallula radish leaves for breakfast tomorrow :D

I think they do lol, Im so scared I buy the wrong thing, but yeah I'm pretty much 100% positive I've seen that in the stores :) I will check today, and read the back of the bag to see whats in it :p Thanks for the pic Kate :)

And Isa, yes YUMMMM pizza hehe I love it too!!!!

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
just buy organic spring mix... it's sold everywhere...

btw, raddichio is a delicious italian lettuce so it's great for your table.. it is bitter thoouh so mix it with other lettuces (should only be 1/5 of your salad bowl at the most..)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
That's great Stacy. Glad you found the spring mix. If it has spinach in it remove those they can cause pyramiding and contains calcium oxalates which inhibit absorption of calcium. Now we need to get you growing some foods for Tallula, it will broaden the food variety for her. You can order seeds if you can't find them in Dubai. Grow them in pots and you will have a great variety for her. but if you buy already started plants make sure you give them about 3 months to make sure the chemicals are out of them :) :p

Stazz

5 Year Member
Fantastic Robyn ! Thanks for all your info :D

Yay for no spinach in the Spring Mix!

What seeds shall I buy/order? I will see if I can find anything here first, otherwise will then order :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Crazy1 said:
That's great Stacy. Glad you found the spring mix. If it has spinach in it remove those they can cause pyramiding and contains calcium oxalates which inhibit absorption of calcium. :) :p

I have not seen any research on this- do you have a source? I know spinach is generally a no-no (as is parsley) because of oxalytic acid, but I had not heard of a connection to pyramiding.

By the way, the function of oxalytic acid is moderated (but not eliminated) by vitamin A- another reason for a well-balanced and varied diet!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Madkins007 Danny is my source. He has had difficulty with some of the greeks, not all (and specificly some crosses)and pyramiding with Spinach being the only difference in the mix. Unfortunalty I can not at this time find the post but I am sure you could PM Egyptiandan for more info. I know I have cut it out of my Greeks diet and my hatchlings have never had it. I can find so much to vary their diet without spinach that I am not risking adding spinach to the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.