sulcatas and tomato shrub leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
I'm curious if the tomato plant itself is safe for my sulcatas to eat. I always find them reaching their long necks to grab a bite from my raised vegetable bed. If its not harmful, i'm thinking of cutting pieces of the tomato shrub and have it as part of their diet. I don't get any more tomatoes so i wouldn't mind feeding it to them instead of pulling out the shrub and throwing it away.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tomato vines and leaves are VERY toxic. Do not let them eat that.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Tomato is in the nightshade family, and only the fruits are edible. I wou,d absolutely keep them from eating it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I didn't know that the plants are toxic. :( Now I've got to ask about Desert Tortoises eating them because that's what Alexander's teacher is feeding to her Desert Tortoises. They are outside at the school and she showed them to me and said that when the kids bring them out that's what they eat. What to do, what to do? :(

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Green Tomatoe fruits are also toxic and when they turn red they are no longer toxic. Something I learned the hard way as a child.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Potato leaves, stems and roots are really toxic too...

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Laura said:
tell her to STOP!!!
although interesting they have been eating them.. and are ok? so......

She took me out to where she lets them get sun at the school and showed me the old tomato plants that she says they eat. I can't guarantee that they do because the high school kids are the ones who take them out there. I'm just surprised with all they've been throught that they are still alive. :( I will let her know on Monday, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.