CHEs

moohooses

Location (City and/or State)
Franklin, Wisconsin
So I heart CHEs are hood at night for the winter, but can they just he used in general with a thermostat for Russians? The regular spot bulbs don't work and from what i hear 'reptile basking bulbs' don't last long.

I already got a UVB strip so I don't need an all in one.

Thanks

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
So I heart CHEs are hood at night for the winter, but can they just he used in general with a thermostat for Russians? The regular spot bulbs don't work and from what i hear 'reptile basking bulbs' don't last long.

Thanks
Of course, I use them for my heat day or night. And for uvb light, I use a T5 fluorescent tube.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Thanks
A CHE should not be used for basking heat. It would normally be used on a thermostat to maintain an ambient minimum temperature and on 24/7.

Both bright light and heat is needed for a proper basking area. A good UVB tube - T5 HO fluorescent is best for the UVB for a basking area, but the actually put out light that is too "blue" for true sunlight simulations as it is normally in the 7000k - 8000k color range. Also, only 55% of so of the energy emitted is in the visible light range, so they are a bit dimmer than most bulbs. Adding an incandescent bulb for both the 'redder' color and the heat produced is best to complete the basking area. I would still suggest then having some good quality LED lights for overall ambient lighting with a good 5000k color rating.

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
A CHE should not be used for basking heat. It would normally be used on a thermostat to maintain an ambient minimum temperature and on 24/7.

Both bright light and heat is needed for a proper basking area. A good UVB tube - T5 HO fluorescent is best for the UVB for a basking area, but the actually put out light that is too "blue" for true sunlight simulations as it is normally in the 7000k - 8000k color range. Also, only 55% of so of the energy emitted is in the visible light range, so they are a bit dimmer than most bulbs. Adding an incandescent bulb for both the 'redder' color and the heat produced is best to complete the basking area. I would still suggest then having some good quality LED lights for overall ambient lighting with a good 5000k color rating.
I keep hearing that regular incandescent bulbs work for baking, but there's no way they can produce that much heat, can they?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I keep hearing that regular incandescent bulbs work for baking, but there's no way they can produce that much heat, can they?
An incandescent light especially a flood light gives off a lot of heat. With a properly sealed enclosure just a few light bulbs could maintain the heat need during the day. Also the scar on my hand says they get real hot! ?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
They certainly do produce plenty of heat. The filament of an incandescent bulb heats to about 4500°F to produce light. This radiates outward as both light and heat. Depending upon the wattage of the bulb, and the height above basking level, there is plenty of heat for a basking area. This heat disperses quickly with distance, so normally a 65 watt bulb will be just about right mounted 12" or so above the basking area. Checking with a temperature gun, you can get it perfect.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Be sure you aren't using LED "replacement type bulbs. Incandescent bulbs produce lots of heat. LED replacement bulbs produce very little heat.

I don't know where Franklin is, but its difficult to find incandescent bulbs in some areas, like all of California.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

moohooses

Franklin, Wisconsin
Be sure you aren't using LED "replacement type bulbs. Incandescent bulbs produce lots of heat. LED replacement bulbs produce very little heat.

I don't know where Franklin is, but its difficult to find incandescent bulbs in some areas, like all of California.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Since I'm getting a Testudo, I'd only need a UVB and something for heat and light, right?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Home Depot in WA still has some incandescent light bulbs but unfortunately they are the eco-incandescent - I still bought few and already tested that 75W puts out waaaaayy less heat than regular old- school bulb. Gonna go get a 100W to test it. My next step is post on fb to my friends asking if they trade me light bulbs.
CHE works awesome on the thermostat.
Following all the helpful tips from this forum is making things so much easier if it come to raising the baby Sulcata - thank you all!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Home Depot in WA still has some incandescent light bulbs but unfortunately they are the eco-incandescent - I still bought few and already tested that 75W puts out waaaaayy less heat than regular old- school bulb. Gonna go get a 100W to test it. My next step is post on fb to my friends asking if they trade me light bulbs.
CHE works awesome on the thermostat.
Following all the helpful tips from this forum is making things so much easier if it come to raising the baby Sulcata - thank you all!!

What do you mean eco-incandescent? can you link one of them so I can see for myself? Wanna make sure I don't accidentally bulk buy any of them in the future.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
What do you mean eco-incandescent? can you link one of them so I can see for myself? Wanna make sure I don't accidentally bulk buy any of them in the future.

It’s called EcoSmart exactly just double checked.
Here is the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmar...Light-Bulb-Soft-White-4-Pack-304089/206837663

So the thing is they are still Incandescent but they put out more heat to save the world ... had a whole discussion about it with a worker in Home Depot.
Pretty much 97% of bulbs I have seen are the EcoSmart - excluding small appliances one - that won’t help me. When I grabbed them at first I didn’t see the EcoCrap (sorry) part. Will get the 100W and test. Will create a post later in few day on results.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
It’s called EcoSmart exactly just double checked.
Here is the link:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmar...Light-Bulb-Soft-White-4-Pack-304089/206837663

So the thing is they are still Incandescent but they put out more heat to save the world ... had a whole discussion about it with a worker in Home Depot.
Pretty much 97% of bulbs I have seen are the EcoSmart - excluding small appliances one - that won’t help me. When I grabbed them at first I didn’t see the EcoCrap (sorry) part. Will get the 100W and test. Will create a post later in few day on results.

I have and use these, the very low wattage LED versions to light my home. I've never tried the eco-incandescent version and would love to see your study when finished. When it comes to incandescent hunting I try to stay away from words like equivalent because they usually use those words to reflect the differences between their low wattage version bulb over the original. I've probably been hosed on that front myself.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
I have and use these, the very low wattage LED versions to light my home. I've never tried the eco-incandescent version and would love to see your study when finished. When it comes to incandescent hunting I try to stay away from words like equivalent because they usually use those words to reflect the differences between their low wattage version bulb over the original. I've probably been hosed on that front myself.

I do the same. It’s just becoming a bit of a scavenger hunt at this point.
I grabbed stuff that was in a shelve to have it just in case 4BBE6968-2529-4EBC-A68C-D539DB2EE1A6.jpeg

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Ps. They are able to keep basking spot 107-92 so that’s a good thing. My tortoise always picks 92 ??