Chicken Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

onarock

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hawaii
I guess he is now a pet. He started hanging around the property a few months ago and sleeps in the tree in our back yard. He loves to start crowing about 4 in the morning. All he does is walk circles around the house all day scratchin for bugs.
eating020.jpg

eating016.jpg

eating017.jpg

eating018.jpg

John

5 Year Member
Finally a pic of the infamous chicken joe!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Any relation to cotton eye joe?
I don't know if I had an animal waking me up at 4 AM it might become dinner.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yup there hi is John. I'll tell you what... that bird has some *****. He stands about 2 1/2 feet and is fearless. My cousin was trying to talk me into catching him, cutting off his comb and taking him down to the **** fights.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Careful, chickens can carry coccidiosis, so don't let him go in the torts pens. He looks pretty young. I love the crowing.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
He needs 3 or more girlfriends... He is one handsome dude ;) He looks like he has some Onagadori or Yokohama or other Asian blood in him.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
lol, do chickens run wild all over the place there? **** fighting legal there?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yes, chickens run wild all over here. **** fighting is not legal, but is VERY popular here. There is always legislation at the state to legalize it.

Neal said:
lol, do chickens run wild all over the place there? **** fighting legal there?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Guam has them all over too. **** fighting was legal over there, those things can get pretty ugly.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
yagyujubei said:
Careful, chickens can carry coccidiosis, so don't let him go in the torts pens. He looks pretty young. I love the crowing.

That is a very pretty rooster!

My understanding of coccidia (and coccidiosis). There are many kinds of coccidia and they occur/are present in the soil. A given area, like a yard, will have a couple dozen types of coccidia in the soil. Coccidiosis is an infection or reaction to coccidia. When we raised chickens at home we fed only non-medicated feed so they would develop an immunity to our local coccidia. We had to watch when adding new adult chickens from other farms because they had immunity to their own set of coccidia, which might be different from ours. The introduction had be gradual so the each group could develop an immunity to the new coccidia.

My Torty's first fecal showed the presence of some coccidia, as would be expected because he had soil and earthworms in his enclosure. He did not have very many coccidia, and the vet was not concerned.

I was just reading that other than toxo-plasmosis, coccidia are species-specific. I wonder if the resident vet would comment on chickens as a health threat to tortoises??

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Gorgeous rooster!!

Neal said:
Guam has them all over too. **** fighting was legal over there, those things can get pretty ugly.

Ugh HOW can that be legal?! grrrr

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am in love with Chicken Joe :D I am sure he is an amazing pet and I would loveee to have one in my yard :D

ChiKat said:
Neal said:

Ugh HOW can that be legal?! grrrr

I totally agree! :( :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.