Chicory, how do I grow this?

AnimalLady

So I bought this:
Chicory Catalogna Special D375A (Green) 500 Open Pollinated Seeds by David's Garden Seeds

I do not have a green thumb.. so, I just sprinkled it in a container with some soil, I covered it with a little bit of dirt, watered it and felt accomplished. Now, I'm not so sure.

How do I grow this? Did I do it right? Was I suppose to place them individually or something? Now I'm not even sure I got the right plant, I wanted dandelion! Is this the same?!

Oh gosh, help?

Prairie Mom

So I bought this:
Chicory Catalogna Special D375A (Green) 500 Open Pollinated Seeds by David's Garden Seeds

I do not have a green thumb.. so, I just sprinkled it in a container with some soil, I covered it with a little bit of dirt, watered it and felt accomplished. Now, I'm not so sure.

How do I grow this? Did I do it right? Was I suppose to place them individually or something? Now I'm not even sure I got the right plant, I wanted dandelion! Is this the same?!

Oh gosh, help?
I think you did fine:) Just so you know, if you ever attempt to grow dandelions in pots etc, they grow the same as chicory. I don't plant mine individually. I sprinkle in multiple seeds. See how many come up. Then if you don't like the results you can alter it a tiny bit.

*The only thing I would suggest is that I have had much better luck with mine, not burying them AT ALL (again-same with dandelions).

I have had the very best results using soil/dirt putting a thin top layer of coco coir or peat moss on top of the dirt, sprinkle the seeds on top in full sun or indoor grow lights, and then regularly misting them with a spray bottle. Eventually the little roots will work their way down in the soil and the seeds really seem to sprout the best under full sunlight as long as you can keep them moist.

I think how you planted them sounds just fine. I bet you'll see some positive results :) See how many come up. If you get only a few and want more, don't hesitate to sprinkle a few seeds right on top with the other sprouted seedlings. Good luck and I bet you'll see some growth soon!

AnimalLady

I think you did fine:) Just so you know, if you ever attempt to grow dandelions in pots etc, they grow the same as chicory. I don't plant mine individually. I sprinkle in multiple seeds. See how many come up. Then if you don't like the results you can alter it a tiny bit.

*The only thing I would suggest is that I have had much better luck with mine, not burying them AT ALL (again-same with dandelions).

I have had the very best results using soil/dirt putting a thin top layer of coco coir or peat moss on top of the dirt, sprinkle the seeds on top in full sun or indoor grow lights, and then regularly misting them with a spray bottle. Eventually the little roots will work their way down in the soil and the seeds really seem to sprout the best under full sunlight as long as you can keep them moist.

I think how you planted them sounds just fine. I bet you'll see some positive results :) See how many come up. If you get only a few and want more, don't hesitate to sprinkle a few seeds right on top with the other sprouted seedlings. Good luck and I bet you'll see some growth soon!

Thank you! This just made me day! :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I have a horrible green thumb too. I've gotten better, slowly, since owning tortoises but I still stink for the most part. I recently planted marshmallow seeds to try to grow as part of the winter diet for my Leo's. I use the same method as you...sprinkle, cover, water, hope for the best :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do what you did. I get the soil all ready, spread the seeds, then cover with a little more soil. The trick for me is keeping the soil from drying out in the first couple of weeks. I literally have to water every hour in the summer during the heat of the day or my soil will turn to crust and the little seedings will dry up and die. I think it will be much easier for you in FL with all your rain and humidity.

AnimalLady

I plan on watering them daily, as I do most of my outdoor plants (but not all). I usually water when the sun starts to go down.

I love gardening and things a like, I'm just not good at it, lol.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Dandelions and chicory are in the same family of plants. So you are good with either as a variety of edibles is always key with tortoises.
Chicory has calcium and iron and is high in Vitamin A and C. All good. Not hard to grow. You should see those sprouts soon.
Just keep it watered, or misted. You never want sprouting seeds to dry out as that will usually kill them.

AnimalLady

Dandelions and chicory are in the same family of plants. So you are good with either as a variety of edibles is always key with tortoises.
Chicory has calcium and iron and is high in Vitamin A and C. All good. Not hard to grow. You should see those sprouts soon.
Just keep it watered, or misted. You never want sprouting seeds to dry out as that will usually kill them.
Thank you! Will do!

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh Maria, I wanted to add that sometimes it is best to water early morning. Reason is, and it does happen with chicory and dandelions (and roses, too) is that you want the watering to dry off during the day. Wet leaves through the night will create mildew in some plants, a hazy film. So if you can, water early day so that the leaves dry off during the day and no mildew.

AnimalLady

Oh Maria, I wanted to add that sometimes it is best to water early morning. Reason is, and it does happen with chicory and dandelions (and roses, too) is that you want the watering to dry off during the day. Wet leaves through the night will create mildew in some plants, a hazy film. So if you can, water early day so that the leaves dry off during the day and no mildew.

Ohh, I had no idea. Thank you!

I actually watered them this morning because I forgot to last night *hangs head* , amazingly I saw a couple of sprouts! The dance for joy was amazing this am! :)