Chips new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert AZ
Well, here it is! Please post any additional feedback and suggestions.

chips4.jpg

Chips is moving from a studio into a mansion!
chips2.jpg

We used the 5 tubs to offer Chips different environments to play in. The tubs have holes drilled in the bottom to allow for drainage.
chips.jpg

The enclosure is buried into the ground, but isn't attached to the wall. This will allow for expansion in a few weeks when we double to enclosure to 4x8.
chips5.jpg

Here are the different environments: #1-50/50 mixture of sand and coconut substrate, #2- soil w/planted seeds for various flowers, #3 river rocks on sand (I will be getting additional water trays, I realized that terra-cota probably isn't the right choice for our Arizona sun), #4 soil with planted bermuda grass, 50/50 mixture of sand and coconut substrate.
chips6.jpg

A different view
chips7.jpg

Happy Chips!

As I mentioned above we are doubling the enclosure in a few weeks. Any suggestions for additional environments would be appreciated. We will be adding an additional 5 tubs.

Thank you all!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yertle said:
Well, here it is! Please post any additional feedback and suggestions.

Chip should be very happy in his new digs! What kind of shade are you thinking about providing? Or does the wall next to the habitat provide the shade? I love the picture of Chip exploring! He does indeed look happy.

Yvonne

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
Yea, the wall actually keeps 1/2 of the enclosure shaded throughout the day. But I do plan on getting a tree to stand next to the pen as you had suggested earlier. Looking at it though I realize I should probably put more hides in there, at least until the plants start growing.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can also go to lowes and pick up pansies, roses, grape vines, hibiscus, etc and those will provide a lot of shade.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Wonderful area for your Sully. He looks so happy. Congrats on the new digs.

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
Thanks guys, he really enjoys the new habitat. He seems to favor a different "environment" during different times of the day. I can't wait until the grass and flowers start to take root, he'll really be diggin his pad then.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
One more plant you may want to consider is a prickly pear(Opuntia fiscus-indicus grows well in your area) or other cacti. These will provide both shelter and food.

Status
Not open for further replies.