Chirping

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas
One of my little yearling red foots has started chirping. It sounds kind of like a rain frog. It's adorable! Does anyone else's do this?

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't keep Redfoots, but if that was one of my desert type tortoises I'd be watch for an URTI...
do Redfoots usually make noise?

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Yes juveniles sometimes chirp or cluck. Adult males will also sometimes during mating. Yellow foots do it too. I'm just wondering if anyone else's on this forum chirp sometimes. ☺️

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
A few of mine chirp. They only really make the sounds at night and occasionally when eating. The chirps reduced in frequency when they turned about a year old but I still hear it every once in a while.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Yeah my one red foot made clucking noises back in the day when I first bought him many years ago. Out of my 4 Redfoots, he was the only one that really made the noises. However, I have read on here many other redfoot owners had the same thing with the clucking noises.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I hear these noises from my torts every now and then. A few f them make it more than others, it is cute! I will mimic that sound they make back to them during their soaks and they all turn and look at me. I wonder what I'm saying to them? Lol. :p

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
This is completely normal, mine make noises often. It seems provoked when I give them a treat (fruit) or something is agitating/frightening them. As far as tortoises go, redfoots can be consider chatter boxes :).