Choosing smaller tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan USA
Hello ~
I'm new here, looking into getting my first tortoise baby. I'm not new to taking care of turtles and many other reptiles, but I'm doing my research to make sure I give my new baby the best home and experience possible. I'm thinking of a smaller breed as we have a smaller home and already have a few four legged members. My first thoughts are a Greek or Russian, but any other help would be appreciated. I'm very excited in this new adventure and am enjoying reading the many posts.
Thank you for reading.
Susan
[/size]:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!

Either of those choices would be a good first tortoise. Personally, I would go with a Russian. They're very resilient and forgiving of beginner mistakes. But whatever species you decide upon, please consider making an outdoor habitat. In my opinion, tortoises do much better when they can live outside.

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Thank you for your well wishes. I believe outside would only work part of the time. Michigan is very humid in the summer and I've read that Greeks need a dryer atmosphere, also in the winter it gets very cold. I plan on taking him outside often under supervision and also making a pen or area where he can roam protected. We don't use any fertilizer on the area we would put him.
Glad to be here!
Thanks again
Susan

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Yvonne G said:
Hi Susan, and welcome to the Forum!

Either of those choices would be a good first tortoise. Personally, I would go with a Russian. They're very resilient and forgiving of beginner mistakes. But whatever species you decide upon, please consider making an outdoor habitat. In my opinion, tortoises do much better when they can live outside.

Thank you Yvonne! I'm looking into what may be available locally and if I can't find a healthy prospect, then I may try the internet. A Russian would be a good choice.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Susan welcome to the TFO. And where in Mi . I was born in Saginaw ,Mi. And you may want to look up " cold Frame " my Uncle used to extend the growing season for his sweet potatoes with the cold frame

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Susan welcome to the TFO. And where in Mi . I was born in Saginaw ,Mi. And you may want to look up " cold Frame " my Uncle used to extend the growing season for his sweet potatoes with the cold frame

Cold Frame?? As in something to keep them outside in the winter?? or just outside when it starts getting colder? And I'm in Troy, near Rochester.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
It's 4 walls with a glass door on top it will keep the top4-5 in. Of soil and the air about 72 degrees longer then normal to keep the tort out side longer and let you put him/ her out sooner to let the tort have more time out side

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Thanks so much, I've been looking at all the pics of the wonderful outdoor enclosures and I've come up with an area that is fenced off from our dogs that will suit a tort just fine. I'll definitely work on that and an enclosure for inside that he will love when the weather is too adverse for him to be out. It's fun planning an area for him and I'm getting excited!

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
It's 4 walls with a glass door on top it will keep the top4-5 in. Of soil and the air about 72 degrees longer then normal to keep the tort out side longer and let you put him/ her out sooner to let the tort have more time out side

Status
Not open for further replies.