Chuy has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Chuy is about 2 months old and he's still doing well. I bought the UVB lightbulb but haven't bought the hold for it yet. Chuy spent time with me outside today for several hours while I worked on the turtle garden construction. I set up a pot for him to stay in while outside, with plants and shade.

His temps stay at about 79 degrees during the day in his vivarium. Monday I will have his light set up and I'll feel a little better :)

he's been active in his vivarium, walking around each day...lounging. So I'm thinking he's comfy. He seems to be burying in at night now.

He's all eyes right now!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1376796073.887158.jpg

Please post your pics when you get it :) you'll do great! I think it's great you're getting a yearling! A hatchling is nerve racking, not gonna lie! We will definitely learn together :) Michael (shelledfriends) who I got Chuy from has been SO extremely informative helpful. I am very thankful.

Last edited by a moderator:

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
So stinking cute! Congrats on the new addition! I look forward to seeing more about him as he grows :)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Thank you! He's still doing great. He's been eating just fine, he's out and about in his vivarium during the day and burrows himself in at night still. I'd like to think we have a little routine going.

I may be disrupting the routine by installing his light this week. But he seems to acclimate to changes well. :)

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
txturtle13 said:
Chuy is about 2 months old and he's still doing well. I bought the UVB lightbulb but haven't bought the hold for it yet. Chuy spent time with me outside today for several hours while I worked on the turtle garden construction. I set up a pot for him to stay in while outside, with plants and shade.

His temps stay at about 79 degrees during the day in his vivarium. Monday I will have his light set up and I'll feel a little better :)

he's been active in his vivarium, walking around each day...lounging. So I'm thinking he's comfy. He seems to be burying in at night now.

He's all eyes right now!

Please post your pics when you get it :) you'll do great! I think it's great you're getting a yearling! A hatchling is nerve racking, not gonna lie! We will definitely learn together :) Michael (shelledfriends) who I got Chuy from has been SO extremely informative helpful. I am very thankful.

I will definatley be posting more pictures of Spook in her own thread, but for now you have seen her :) I'm probably going to use the tracing method to see how she grows while I have her :) I'm so happy Chuy is doing well.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
So I've noticed this little patch of skin on the very top of Chuy's head looks dry or something. We don't have hard water, so it's not a water spot. I soak him once every three days, and his vivarium is humid and watered. He also has a little dish in there if he is thirsty.

Is it just dry skin? Or is he shedding? Or what?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377618988.008590.jpg

Other than that, he's doing great!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
He need.more soaking,everyday
Also leave a dish in there what is big enough for him to bath in it but also where he can get out of his own,
Does he get enough calcium?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

txturtle13

5 Year Member
He has a dish in his vivarium, I know he needs to bath and drink. He can get in and out of it easily. I change the water daily, his vivarium is humid and sprayed. I realize I had a typo, I soak him every other day, not every three days.

As far as calcium is concerned, I'm not sure. He's eating pill bugs, worms, and cantaloupe. I'm going to be adding the pellets soon. But other than this dry spot he's doing great. He is eating fine and sleeps and moves around his vivarium.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
txturtle13 said:
He has a dish in his vivarium, I know he needs to bath and drink. He can get in and out of it easily. I change the water daily, his vivarium is humid and sprayed. I realize I had a typo, I soak him every other day, not every three days.

As far as calcium is concerned, I'm not sure. He's eating pill bugs, worms, and cantaloupe. I'm going to be adding the pellets soon. But other than this dry spot he's doing great. He is eating fine and sleeps and moves around his vivarium.
Add a piece of cuttlebone to his enclosure to chew on.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
ShelledFriends helped me determine Chuy may have had an infection. I treated and it still wasn't going away. So, I have swapped out his enclosure. I also switched from the Organic vegan Compost to coconut chore. Not pictured below is his light.

Before (10 gallon vivarium):
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378746247.354020.jpg

Now (31 quart Rubbermaid):
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378746355.121101.jpg

I can move the whole enclosure outside, which is handy.

He is doing better, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.