City spraying for mosquitoes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

janice c

10 Year Member!
Because of 4 confirmed cases of West Nile Virus in our area, the city will be spraying for mosquitoes using the chemical permethrin. The notice states that any vegetation grown for consumption can be safely eaten after washing well with water and food-safe soap; does anyone know if washing the grass will be effective and safe for Sheldon to eat? If not, how long will it be before I can feed it to him again? I filled 5 quart sized freezer bags today; I'm hoping it will stay fresh to get him through at least a week or so just in case. Any information or advice will be appreciated!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Don't think anyone really knows the answer to this one. There are just so many variables...

Its a bummer. Don't know what to tell you.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
i would call the town and ask or call the maker of the spray or tell the town not to come near you house or land beacsue of you pets. I do whith my town and they stay way from my house

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are grazing animals all over the place. If the spray were to effect grazing animals adversely, they wouldn't do it. (risk of law suit, etc)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can't get them to stay away from spraying your house, I would water your lawn a lot before letting him eat. However, I don't have any idea either how long you should keep him off it after you water it several times. If your tort is to big to keep in the house, and they won't stay away from spraying your yard and you can't get any info about the safety of the product with your tort, I would contact an attorney to see what your rights are for demanding they don't spray your yard.
I have seen several products that were labeled animal safe and it wasn't. One other thing, can you cover your yard with something like plastic or even straw. Then just clean it up when they are done.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
just call the city or town and let them if they spary your yard you will place a law suit on them for anmail curity

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California

EricIvins

5 Year Member
My County has been spraying for Mosquitos longer than I've been keeping Tortoises........It does not effect them at all......They will not stop spraying just because you ask them to either - They have the public health of their jurisdiction to worry about and an obligation to curb Mosquito born disease.......I'd like to see anyone try to win that lawsuit.......

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
is it arieal spraying by helicopter or ground by a truck at night?
bring in if you can and hose down well in the morning..?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
emysemys said:
There are grazing animals all over the place. If the spray were to effect grazing animals adversely, they wouldn't do it. (risk of law suit, etc)

I wouldn't necessarily agree to this. For example, not too long ago the government decided that they way to control the bot fly problem in an area was to release MORE bot flies... genetically modified of course, unable to breed, that would cause so much competition in the bot fly population, half of which couldn't breed anyway, that they would all die out eventually... sounds like a really great plan, doesn't it? -_-

AndreaRosie

5 Year Member
I have the trucks come all the time since I live in Louisiana. That's right. Isaac is coming for me. I still got West Nile. So I've been sleeping all day and when I'm not I'm with my turtles :)

janice c

10 Year Member!
AndreaRosie said:
I have the trucks come all the time since I live in Louisiana. That's right. Isaac is coming for me. I still got West Nile. So I've been sleeping all day and when I'm not I'm with my turtles :)

Aw, man! That sucks :( Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for all the input; I don't think I'd have much luck keeping them off my property, especially since I live across the sreet from an elementary school (and the little buggers - both the mosquitoes and the kids - seem to love my house). Luckily Sheldon is still small and with the extreme heat here in North Texas he's inside most of the time right now, so I think I'll just up the spring mix to make the grass I cut last longer just to play it safe.

[Thanks for all the input; I don't think I'd have much luck keeping them off my property, especially since I live across the sreet from an elementary school (and the little buggers - both the mosquitoes and the kids - seem to love my house). [/quote]

Whoa, just re-read that and it made me sound a little creepy..the kids love my house because my son has all the cool toys Lol

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
janice c said:
Aw, man! That sucks :( Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for all the input; I don't think I'd have much luck keeping them off my property, especially since I live across the sreet from an elementary school (and the little buggers - both the mosquitoes and the kids - seem to love my house). Luckily Sheldon is still small and with the extreme heat here in North Texas he's inside most of the time right now, so I think I'll just up the spring mix to make the grass I cut last longer just to play it safe.

[Thanks for all the input; I don't think I'd have much luck keeping them off my property, especially since I live across the sreet from an elementary school (and the little buggers - both the mosquitoes and the kids - seem to love my house).

Whoa, just re-read that and it made me sound a little creepy..the kids love my house because my son has all the cool toys Lol[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!! The kids love my house too. And for the same reasons. Little buggers? You put it so mildly. Lol.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Torts, compared to most typical grazers, live much longer and I would be concerned about the cumulative effect of allowing them to graze sprayed areas. I would cover as much of the grazing area with inexpensive tarp while the city battles the mosquito issues. Then I would rinse the area very well. My 2¢

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Cowboy_Ken said:
Torts, compared to most typical grazers, live much longer and I would be concerned about the cumulative effect of allowing them to graze sprayed areas. I would cover as much of the grazing area with inexpensive tarp while the city battles the mosquito issues. Then I would rinse the area very well. My 2¢

Where the heck did you get the cents symbol?

youngyoshi

5 Year Member
futureleopardtortoise said:
Cowboy_Ken said:

Where the heck did you get the cents symbol?

alt+0162

numbers must be typed on numpad iirc

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
hmm it's not working for me :( ¢ OH MY GOSH! That is amazing. You have made my day, thank you! ¢ ¢ haha, that's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.