Cleaning?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are we talking turtles (as in aquariums) or tortoises?

Robney899

How often should a tortoise habitat be cleaned and what should be replaced when doing so? Thanks!

M

Maggie Cummings

I just spot clean, pick out the poop and the old food, make sure the substrate is damp and if you stay on it your substrate will last a long time...Is that what you wanted to know? That is if you have a good substrate...

Robney899

Thank you. I was kinda wondering if i had to take out everything and then refill it with fresh things. You basically answered that though

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Robney I would pick up what the tort leave behind every day when I wash the food dish and water dish if it's in the house .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I just changed mine but only because it seriously STUNK. I don't know why. I only had it 2 months.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I do like what Maggie said...I spot clean daily and when the substrate (I use orchid bark) starts to dry out, I pour water on it and stir it up with my hand. This keeps the substrate turned and freshened. I use the same substrate for a whole season.

yillt

I change mine once every 3 months and I spot clean daily. Also you should take out any accessories and wash them. Like plant pots it water bowls.