Cleaning a box turtle habitat

nicdragonette

I was just wondering how often I should clean a box turtle habitat...The enclosure is indoors and made out of wood.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
Most people just spot clean waste you can see. I have a large enclosure so i don't have to change the substrate much but in a smaller one you can change it every 6 mon - a year. If you bathe him everyday he may poop in the bath and save you time picking it up.

nicdragonette

Most people just spot clean waste you can see. I have a large enclosure so i don't have to change the substrate much but in a smaller one you can change it every 6 mon - a year. If you bathe him everyday he may poop in the bath and save you time picking it up.

Thank you! and yeah I was thinking 6 months to a year would be fine. I used to have a slider and I'd have to clean out his tank once a week it was such a hassle..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My boxie habitat is not very large - about 9 to 10 square feet. I change the substrate once or twice a year. I spot clean regularly.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I change it only when I must, but add leaves regularly and more substrate in the fall. Mine are outdoors for most of the summer.