Habitat Cleaning

J

Jillian Fricke

How often is replacing all of the substrate in a Russian Tortoise's habitat recommended? Mine is kept indoors year-round in my (finished) basement. The substrate is a mixture of primarily coconut coir and some sand.

This morning, I noticed a small patch of fuzzy, white mold on the substrate near the food bowl. I have read that coconut coir is not supposed to grow mold, so I am surprised. Also, there are very tiny flies crawling around in there. Is that something to be especially concerned about? Could it be because the habitat is kept in the basement? Could it be from the leftover food falling out of the food bowl overnight? Could the flies harm my tort?

My apologies for the barrage of questions; I am just so disgusted. I keep my basement extremely clean, and I constantly sterilize everything in my tort's habitat.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
I don't use sand at all, as it is an impaction risk and doesn't hazard and doesn't hold humidity very well.
As for the coir, I have never known it go moldy, so maybe it's food or a bit of old poop you might have missed or something.
I just spot clean my coir and replace it every Spring, though i'm not sure it needs it even then, just to be on the safe side.
These flies may be small fruit flies, or if they only crawl perhaps something like thrips. Harmless, either way.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
How often is replacing all of the substrate in a Russian Tortoise's habitat recommended? Mine is kept indoors year-round in my (finished) basement. The substrate is a mixture of primarily coconut coir and some sand.

This morning, I noticed a small patch of fuzzy, white mold on the substrate near the food bowl. I have read that coconut coir is not supposed to grow mold, so I am surprised. Also, there are very tiny flies crawling around in there. Is that something to be especially concerned about? Could it be because the habitat is kept in the basement? Could it be from the leftover food falling out of the food bowl overnight? Could the flies harm my tort?

My apologies for the barrage of questions; I am just so disgusted. I keep my basement extremely clean, and I constantly sterilize everything in my tort's habitat.

Honestly speaking I do not think that sand is suitable. It could irritate a tort's eyes. :(

As for the enclosure being in a basement, please allow me to ask: what about sunlight? :rolleyes: Please keep in mind that human beings, animals and even plants must see the sun.;)

(Hope my message did not annoy/hurt you. Am trying to help you.:) )

J

Jillian Fricke

I don't use sand at all, as it is an impaction risk and doesn't hazard and doesn't hold humidity very well.
As for the coir, I have never known it go moldy, so maybe it's food or a bit of old poop you might have missed or something.
I just spot clean my coir and replace it every Spring, though i'm not sure it needs it even then, just to be on the safe side.
These flies may be small fruit flies, or if they only crawl perhaps something like thrips. Harmless, either way.
Honestly speaking I do not think that sand is suitable. It could irritate a tort's eyes. :(

As for the enclosure being in a basement, please allow me to ask: what about sunlight? :rolleyes: Please keep in mind that human beings, animals and even plants must see the sun.;)

(Hope my message did not annoy/hurt you. Am trying to help you.:) )

Not at all! There are two windows in the basement. I also take him outside and let him explore my garden every single afternoon. He gets plenty of sunlight that way. :)

Thank you both for your responses!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just "spot clean" my indoor substrate.
Scoop out the soiled area and redistribute the rest.
I'd also ditch the sand. I use orchid bark and garden soil.