Habitat Smells?

J

Jillian Fricke

The substrate in my Russian Tortoise's enclosure consists primarily of coconut coir with a tiny bit of sand mixed in; fresh substrate was put in about a month ago. I noticed today a slight odor drifting out of the habitat. Everything in there is clean and sterilized, and his food is fresh. Could it be the substrate? Perhaps it is too moist? Although I have read many times that coir does not grow mold. Perhaps the opuntia gives off a funky smell?

J

Jillian Fricke

The substrate for my Russian Tortoise enclosure consists primarily of coconut coir with a slight amount of sand mixed in; fresh substrate was added about a month ago.

I noticed today a slight odor drifting out of the habitat; it smells similar to when my hair dryers spark and stop working, an after-burn stink. Everything in there is clean and sterilized. Perhaps the coir is too moist? Although, I read that coir does not grow mold. Could it be the lights? Or maybe the opuntia has a funky smell to it? Any ideas?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Could it be a lamp fixture or ballast? Maybe an under rated plastic light fixture?
Turn off your lighting and heating, let it cool and look for discoloration or anything melted. Also hold the items to your nose and smell them. (Unplug them first)
A burning electronic hair dryer would smell like an overheated light socket.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
The substrate for my Russian Tortoise enclosure consists primarily of coconut coir with a slight amount of sand mixed in; fresh substrate was added about a month ago.

I noticed today a slight odor drifting out of the habitat; it smells similar to when my hair dryers spark and stop working, an after-burn stink. Everything in there is clean and sterilized. Perhaps the coir is too moist? Although, I read that coir does not grow mold. Could it be the lights? Or maybe the opuntia has a funky smell to it? Any ideas?

How close is the closest item to the bulb? I mean, are there any wood hides/plastic hides, plastic dishes, plastic plants???? After burn stink is unique to an area that is being heated by a hot fixture? Does your fixture have a plastic socket or a ceramic socket?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What type of fixture is your heat lamp? Bakelite (plastic) or ceramic based?

J

Jillian Fricke

Because my phone told me the first one did not post. -.- I cannot figure out how to delete it, my apologies!

J

Jillian Fricke

Could it be a lamp fixture or ballast? Maybe an under rated plastic light fixture?
Turn off your lighting and heating, let it cool and look for discoloration or anything melted. Also hold the items to your nose and smell them. (Unplug them first)
A burning electronic hair dryer would smell like an overheated light socket.
How close is the closest item to the bulb? I mean, are there any wood hides/plastic hides, plastic dishes, plastic plants???? After burn stink is unique to an area that is being heated by a hot fixture? Does your fixture have a plastic socket or a ceramic socket?
What type of fixture is your heat lamp? Bakelite (plastic) or ceramic based?
My lamps have ceramic sockets. The only object under the basking lamp is a large rock (from outdoors). My UVB lamp is a foot above the substrate/plastic water dish & hideout log. Thank you all for your responses. I shall continue to investigate. :)

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I know it's hard to describe a smell, but can you try?

I know that with my redfoots they have some distinct smells. Their urine smells sort of sweet and syrupy like engine coolant if its left to dry out. A fouled water dish smells fishy, leftover fruits/veggies/greens get a fermented vinegar-y sharp smell...

DandR

Tortoise Club
Hawaii
Not sure if this helps, but ss the smell more on the organic side? Like putrid meat (gross, I know). On two separate occasions, after I soaked new coir, that's what it smelled like. One was purchased off Amazon and one was from my local pet store. But the the awful smell was immediately noticeable; it didn't take a month.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

And I hope you get an answer to your somewhat "strange" question soon.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My lamps have ceramic sockets. The only object under the basking lamp is a large rock (from outdoors). My UVB lamp is a foot above the substrate/plastic water dish & hideout log. Thank you all for your responses. I shall continue to investigate. :)

The plastic water dish....would you mind removing it for awhile ...air out the enclosure and then see if the smell still persists....if no, then return the plastic water dish and see if the smell returns....I once had a plain bulb literally melt a plastic water dish and the only clue it was happening was I smelt a burning smell.....the dish is still a tad warped.....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

How far away from the heat element/lamp is the substrate? Top of the tortoise? 10 inches, 12 inches????

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
In her original post, the OP mentioned that it smelled electrical. like an overheated hair dryer.
I was wondering why everyone was going that route. I hadn't seen that tidbit of info.