clicking noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

redtort

5 Year Member
I had read about these noises but my first RF never made any clicking noises just hissing. About a week ago I got a new 4" baby and she made a lot of clicking/chuckling noises. I kinda enjoyed the talking but a since the last couple of days she has been very quiet. is it possible that the older one intimidated her or should i be concerned?

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Northwest FL
Has anything in her normal routine changed at all? Some RF's have a natural whistle or cliclking noise and it causes no harm to them whatsoever. It may have been a little piece of food that got stuck and was making the noise as she breathed, if that was the case it just dislodged.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The basic normal noises a Red-foot makes include...
- Hissing, when they pull their heads in quickly, which forces the air out of their lungs. This is often done as a startle or fear reflex.
- Clucking or grunting, made during periods of mating or arousal in 'teens'.
- Clicking noise that seems to be made during eating certain foods, and seems to emanate from the jaws.
- Whistling, wheezing noise some otherwise healthy torts make, as if something is in the nostrils. This may also be a sign of various respiratory illnesses.

Does it seem to be any of these?

redtort

5 Year Member
Madkins007 said:
The basic normal noises a Red-foot makes include...
- Hissing, when they pull their heads in quickly, which forces the air out of their lungs. This is often done as a startle or fear reflex.
- Clucking or grunting, made during periods of mating or arousal in 'teens'.
- Clicking noise that seems to be made during eating certain foods, and seems to emanate from the jaws.
- Whistling, wheezing noise some otherwise healthy torts make, as if something is in the nostrils. This may also be a sign of various respiratory illnesses.

Does it seem to be any of these?

it was clucking noises, but she no longer makes those noises. I did some anal scute research from looking at Terry's caresheet. It looks like both my RF's are female, unless I was wrong and one of them is a male then the clucking noise would make sense. Also the old one tries to bite/nibble on the younger ones foot for some reason every now and then. I though this maybe scared her a little bit.

MissP

5 Year Member
I have, what I believe to be a female, 6 year old redfoot. Just recently she has been making a clucking noise, almost like a chicken. I've done some research but everything I find is about courting. Would a female make this noise if she is on her own and ready to breed?

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
My females cluck all the time. They will mount males and other females and cluck like chickens. They almost do it more than my males. Ha!

-Matt

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
MissP said:
I have, what I believe to be a female, 6 year old redfoot. Just recently she has been making a clucking noise, almost like a chicken. I've done some research but everything I find is about courting. Would a female make this noise if she is on her own and ready to breed?

Hi MissP:

Won't you take a few moments to start a new thread in the "introductions" section and tell us a bit about yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.