Climbing walls of enclosure / Falling over..Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Welp. This seems to happen both indoors and out. Basically my redfoot, from time to time, gets the urge to try and climb (which I know all torts do) the walls. Problem is, he ends up frequently on his back. Obviously that's a problem!

Any solutions? Things I can do to the walls?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Is it the walls in general, or in the corners?

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Now that you mention it, I have only noticed it in the corners. Maybe I could block them off somehow? I get worried sick over it when I'm not around.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you allowing him to try to right himself? Plus interested in the answer to the question that has already been asked.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I haven't tried, but each time he seems to just lay their or kick helplessly.

Should I see if he can? I'm worried mainly due to the fact I have heard they can suffocate on their backs.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Maybe I could get some pieces of wood, cut them to the right size, and drill them in the corners?

EKLC

5 Year Member
Nixxy said:
Maybe I could get some pieces of wood, cut them to the right size, and drill them in the corners?

Yea, I agree with jaizei, and that would be a good way to do it. Usually torts need the leverage of a corner to flip over.

If your tort is able to right himself once it doesn't mean he'd be able to do it in any position, or even repeat it from the same exact position. just make sure your basking spot is not near a flipping spot, since you definitely don't want him overheating

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Nixxy said:

That's what I did. The larger angle made it more difficult for my Russian to climb, and he eventually stopped trying. Good luck!

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Yeah, I'll have to do that tomorrow. Run to the store and get some wood and such.

It's particularly one corner for some reason, usually. Dunno why. He's a silly little tort.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nixxy said:
Yeah, I'll have to do that tomorrow. Run to the store and get some wood and such.

It's particularly one corner for some reason, usually. Dunno why. He's a silly little tort.
They are actually more stubborn than silly, for what ever reason he has made it his mission to try and climb that corner, they don't stop very often , ask anyone who has a sulcata and they will tell you how stubborn they are, other tortoises are no exception.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
I've certainly noticed. I can't figure it out, but who knows. It's always the same corner. I'm almost convinced if I even just blocked off that corner, he wouldn't bother with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.