Climbing

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
So, we all know that russians like to climb and are good at climbing! That said, for an indoor enclosure, is it good idea to purposely put things in there for him to climb on/over/etc? I want to make sure it isn't something that could fall over and injure him.

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
climbing is definitely not something you want to encourage. it could fall while you're out under the light near the light and would overheat. it's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
climbing is definitely not something you want to encourage. it could fall while you're out under the light near the light and would overheat. it's just not worth the risk in my opinion.

Okay...this is what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure. Our russian is climbing on top of his log hide. Not sure I can stop that because he needs the "hide" for obvious reasons.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's not the climbing that's the problem... it's the descent.

You can bank substrate up round a hide so he has a hill to climb and descend rather than a sheer drop on all sides.

He'll still want altitude, but you can make it safer to get down

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I try to give safe stuff to climb, and plenty of surfaces to right themselves on.
0813161331.jpg
It is hard to see in the pic, but he can climb a hill to the top of the hide. The fro,t I blocked so he can't jump. I use a lot of bricks and rocks.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
I try to give safe stuff to climb, and plenty of surfaces to right themselves on.
View attachment 183747
It is hard to see in the pic, but he can climb a hill to the top of the hide. The front I blocked so he can't jump. I use a lot of bricks and rocks.

Thank you! We have two hides in there but I'm not sure we really need them both. He only uses the bigger log in middle of tank. I think we will play around a bit tomorrow while he is soaking and make some "hills" like you did. We have some rocks and small pieces of "slate' that we can use. Thanks again.