Closed chamber for 7" red foot

J H

5 Year Member
I am going to start building a closed chamber for Bob my red foot. It will be 8'x3'x30". My question is has anyone used ice and water shield (rubber membrane used in roofing) to waterproof enclosure? What about putting a drain in the bottom to drain excess water?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It should never be so wet that you need a drain.
Also, a seven incher may not require a fully enclosed chamber.
I'm sorry, but i'm not familiar at all with that membrane material. Is it asphalt based or plastic?
With substrate like orchid bark and potting soil, you should get your required humidity.

J H

5 Year Member
It's rubber. Super strong adhesive on one side. About as thick as pond liner. The reason I thought closed chamber is inside the house in Minnesota humidity is prob 30 to 40

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
I would make it a closed chamber where you live and I bet ice and water shield would work pretty well, never thought about trying that. I would only use it under the substrate and not ling the entire thing with it. A shower curtain works well too. Like said above, you've got WAY TO MUCH water in there if you're talking about a drain.

J H

5 Year Member
Yep I would use it on the bottom and up just a few inches. I was just curious about the drain because I want to do it right the first time. Any other tips for the enclosure? I plan on sliding glass doors in front and a glass hatch on each end of the top for access.