Closed chamber

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
Hello
I had an enclosure for a baby sulcata tortoise and me and my father built it with pvc pipes and polyethylene film, unfortunately that tortoise had the austwickia bacteria and did not survive, as it is very contagious we decided to scrap the base which was a 36 by 48 by 12 industrial tank and We are planning on building our own table which is we plan to be 6 foot by 8, we are planning on getting either an Eastern Herman's or a Leopard, the issue we are having is that We do not know how to make the chamber that big or how to make a roof. Would a fogger placed correctly be enough to keep moisture at a good level? If not what could we use to make that closed chamber?
Is it possible to use maybe a big hide which is closer to the heat lamp with moss and that is watered regularly?
We want to give the incoming tortoise the best we can and we are planning to have everything ready before we get it.
Any advice is very appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you are getting a hatchling, partition off a small section about a 2 or 3x4 and make that the closed chamber area. Then when it gets bigger open it up to the rest of the enclosure. Moss should not be used and neither should a fogger.
You could also use a pop up portable green house as the cover over the whole thing.
If you didn't want to partition it off, use a large tote box as the enclosure/closed chamber and set it in your home made one.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
If you are getting a hatchling, partition off a small section about a 2 or 3x4 and make that the closed chamber area. Then when it gets bigger open it up to the rest of the enclosure. Moss should not be used and neither should a fogger.
You could also use a pop up portable green house as the cover over the whole thing.
If you didn't want to partition it off, use a large tote box as the enclosure/closed chamber and set it in your home made one.
I think I could use that section idea, seems simpler to establish successfully. We have always had a hard time with including the lighting in the chamber, this seems a lot easier. What is the deal with sphagnum moss? Ive seen so many people use it in their enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think I could use that section idea, seems simpler to establish successfully. We have always had a hard time with including the lighting in the chamber, this seems a lot easier. What is the deal with sphagnum moss? Ive seen so many people use it in their enclosure
The moss besides molding easy can get tangled around limbs and cause impaction if they eat it which many like to eat it.
When my leopard was a hatchling and before I joined the forum I used moss. Got rid of it as soon as I found it wrapped around my tort.
We don't recommend it, not everyone listens.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
The moss besides molding easy can get tangled around limbs and cause impaction if they eat it which many like to eat it.
When my leopard was a hatchling and before I joined the forum I used moss. Got rid of it as soon as I found it wrapped around my tort.
We don't recommend it, not everyone listens.
Alright, do you have any suggestion on what to use instead of moss?
I bought 2 pack of 3 eco earth bricks, so maybe I could use that for the chamber too?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the eco earth/coconut coir the best. Also orchid bark is highly recommended. Some will use both.
Both are great for the whole enclosure as they hold humidity well and won't mold.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Yeah the fact that that coir does not mold is the whole reason why I purchased these bricks, plus the fact that they grow so much.
I do ALWAYS have to compete with a chameleon weirdo who always buys them ALL, he works at the Petsmart that I get these and when I asked if they had the bricks instead of the bags he told me he always buy all of them for his chameleons. So its always a struggle, I got to hope that he already have what he needs because other than maybe cypress mulch I dont think I have any other quality substrate around.