How long/old to keep in closed chamber?

Twistedbydesign

Location (City and/or State)
Gilberts, IL
So our baby Hermanns is 2 months old and we currently have it in a partially closed chamber with humidity varying from 50-90%. Wondering at what age he/she will no longer need the closed chamber?

Twistedbydesign

Gilberts, IL
Should be fully closed
Approx. 3 years
Thanks. Currently we have him/her in a 20L with a glass top covering most of the cage up to the light. I have foil covering the area around the light. It’s keeping humidity pretty well. Lowest I’ve seen is 50% but average is 65-85%. We’re using Reptichip’s Microchip as a substrate which really holds moisture/humidity well. We will be putting her in a 55 gallon or larger soon though.

qiangzhu

Washington
Thanks. Currently we have him/her in a 20L with a glass top covering most of the cage up to the light. I have foil covering the area around the light. It’s keeping humidity pretty well. Lowest I’ve seen is 50% but average is 65-85%. We’re using Reptichip’s Microchip as a substrate which really holds moisture/humidity well. We will be putting her in a 55 gallon or larger soon though.
Mine is around 50%-80% humidity. I can see some pyramiding in my tortoises but not very bad. I never tried more than 80%, not sure it will completely avoid pyramiding or not.
In some other videos or articles, they also say it may cause pyramiding if the tortoises eat high calories food like food with a lot of proteins. But I don’t think it is considered as the factor for pyramiding in the suggestions of this forum

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pictures of your tort and enclosure will help members give you good advice to make sure you have all the right equipment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine is around 50%-80% humidity. I can see some pyramiding in my tortoises but not very bad. I never tried more than 80%, not sure it will completely avoid pyramiding or not.
In some other videos or articles, they also say it may cause pyramiding if the tortoises eat high calories food like food with a lot of proteins. But I don’t think it is considered as the factor for pyramiding in the suggestions of this forum
No, pyramidinh has nothing to do with food. Its low/no humidity and the mercury vapor bulbs. The bulb is too intense and causes pyramiding even in high humidity.