Plastic in closed chamber?

peridot

Location (City and/or State)
NC
My radiated tortoise is about a year and a half and has pretty much outgrown any type of hide I can buy at Petsmart or Petco.

He’s currently housed in a closed chamber, where it stays between 70-100% humidity and between 85-90 degrees.

I posted on a FB group and a lot of people suggested these plastic containers. (see attached photo, not my photo.)

Would something plastic like this be safe to put in a warm, humid closed chamber? I just wanted to double check. I didn’t want to do anything that would hurt him.

IMG_2700.jpgIMG_2701.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, in a word perfectly fine.

WalMart has a wide variety of plastic containers that make perfect hides. Flip them upside down, cut out an opening/entrance. You can gradually increase the sise of the hide as your tort grows. You don’t want your hide too large. I think they like snug hides. It helps keep increased moisture inside and provides a cozy place to feel safe (and sleep).

From Toms Sulcata/Leopard Care Sheet...

Humid Hide Boxes:
This offers the tortoise a more humid place to retreat to and sleep and can simulate some of the more damp micro-climates they might utilize in the wild. It is as simple as getting a $2 black dishwashing tub from Walmart, flipping it upside down and cutting out a small door hole. I keep the substrate under the tub more damp than the surrounding substrate and it works great. You can also use plastic shoe boxes. Some people like to put sphagnum moss in their hides or attach a sponge to the top. This is all fine, but I usually don't bother. This is a short paragraph, but this is a very important detail that should not be overlooked.

peridot

NC
Yes, in a word perfectly fine.

WalMart has a wide variety of plastic containers that make perfect hides. Flip them upside down, cut out an opening/entrance. You can gradually increase the sise of the hide as your tort grows. You don’t want your hide too large. I think they like snug hides. It helps keep increased moisture inside and provides a cozy place to feel safe (and sleep).

From Toms Sulcata/Leopard Care Sheet...

Humid Hide Boxes:
This offers the tortoise a more humid place to retreat to and sleep and can simulate some of the more damp micro-climates they might utilize in the wild. It is as simple as getting a $2 black dishwashing tub from Walmart, flipping it upside down and cutting out a small door hole. I keep the substrate under the tub more damp than the surrounding substrate and it works great. You can also use plastic shoe boxes. Some people like to put sphagnum moss in their hides or attach a sponge to the top. This is all fine, but I usually don't bother. This is a short paragraph, but this is a very important detail that should not be overlooked.

Ok! Thank you! I was worried about something like that setting off fumes or something in a closed chamber. I wasn’t sure if it was recommended on here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like that container in the picture because the opening is too large. That lets all the humidity out. An upside down dishwashing tub will work better. Make the door hole just large enough for the tortoise and enlarge it over time as the tortoise grows.

peridot

NC
I don't like that container in the picture because the opening is too large. That lets all the humidity out. An upside down dishwashing tub will work better. Make the door hole just large enough for the tortoise and enlarge it over time as the tortoise grows.

Ok! I’ll run up to Walmart tomorrow and check out what they have.
And again, something like that is safe in a closed chamber? It shouldn’t let off any weird fumes or anything?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
And again, something like that is safe in a closed chamber? It shouldn’t let off any weird fumes or anything?
I bought a black tote with a lid from Walmart and just cut a hole in the side.Screenshot_20190927-210843~2.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using all sorts of them for nearly 10 years and no problems yet.