How do you seal closed chamber joints?

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
Our leopard tortoise has outgrown its first closed chamber and in am in the process of building a new one. The plywood joints will be screwed together, but is it okay to seal the plywood joints with silicon? If not, how has everybody sealed there closed chambers? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would use a construction adhesive that says that it's non toxic once cured. Silicone would work. Just wipe away any extra that squirts out and then paint over it all with a sealer or a liner like a shower curtain or some pond material.
Wood that is not sealed will hold moisture and mold and other things.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
GE make a silicone that works great. I want to say it silicone #2. If you go back and look at Toms old threads for building a nite box he lists it in there.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Guys, thanks for the feedback. I can get the GE #2 silicon at my local hardware store.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
I would use a construction adhesive that says that it's non toxic once cured. Silicone would work. Just wipe away any extra that squirts out and then paint over it all with a sealer or a liner like a shower curtain or some pond material.
Wood that is not sealed will hold moisture and mold and other things.

Yeah, I definitely plan on sealing it. I will most likely paint it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you use GE silicone, only use Silicone I. It is plain and pure with no additives.

However, I wouldn't recommend it. Paint can't stick to it, and over time it can come unstuck from the wood.

I simply use a thick coat of primer that I really work into all the cracks and joints, then do the same with two coats of paint or Drylok.

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I use GE#1 in my enclosures.

I've read numerous reports that GE#1 is the go-to for fish aquarium enthusiasts due to the absence of additives.