Closed "Chambers" - I Did It Again

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I recently added another closed chamber enclosure to my collection. This closed chamber is specifically being used to house Mickey, my SA Leopard Tortoise. Mickey, was temporarily sharing a closed chamber with Mio, my Babcocki Leopard before having purchased this enclosure. The purpose of this enclosure was to separate the species of Leopards, not having them as a pair and for my main concern growth. Mickey, is growing FAST and I knew that the glass aquarium closed chamber wouldn't suffice. I purchased this 4'x2'x2' "Critter Condo" with a 24" fluorescent strip light and a ceramic fixture already installed from "Spidey's Reptiles" out in Alhambra, California for $195. This was worth the 11 hour drive from Las Vegas and back. I'd do anything to provide the best for my tortoises.

I did some modifications myself, I took Tom's advice and added 10 inches of 4mm plastic sheeting (6mm only came in bulk) and stapled only the top parts and corners to the walls. I couldn't find a replacement for the round soffit vent louvers, so I cut three 4"x4" heavy duty aluminum foil squares and layered all weatherproof PVC pipe tape over the back of each vent. I pre drilled a shallow hole and screwed a white vinyl coated steel cup hook to the center of the chamber to hold an extra fixture I had boxed up in my closet.

A lot of the equipment I'm using are the same ones I've used in my glass aquarium closed chamber, they work phenomenally and are inexpensive. I added live succulents (Elephant Bush and Jade Plant) in Mickey's, simply because there's room. I bought two Arcadia reflectors for each chamber a 18" and 24". I'm using a 24" ReptiSun T8 10.0 fluorescent tube, GE Reveal 40W incandescent for my basking source and a 100W CHE for my ambient heat set up to a thermostat for 85 degrees. Humidity has never been this easy to maintain. I honestly thought I'd have a hard time doing so, but I literally didn't have to spray a single drop of water for the humidity to reach up to 90% ambient and 80% under the basking spot. I only spray directly on Mickey's shell when he's out of his humid hide and that's all it takes for ambient AND basking spot humidity to reach 90-99% for a few days. The humidity is NEVER below 95% and the substrate always stays dry.

Here are a few picture I just took while airing out the enclosures during Mio and Mickey's soaking, sunning time outside.

x4h0.jpg

r3aq.jpg

s3ey.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING! :D

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks! I tried to keep it as simple as possible and I'm more than happy of how everything turned out! :D
kathyth said:
Looks fantastic!
Great job!
:)

I just put Mickey, back into his chamber from his sunning session. Here's a size comparison and him going to town on his lunch. :p

6qqw.jpg

j36v.jpg

i8we.jpg

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Again, I am in awe and inspired by this enclosure. Good job and Mickey looks like he is enjoying it as well.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys! I'm glad my enclosure is inspiring, I hope to inspire others as everyone else has to me. Mickey, loves having this all to himself! :p
DixieParadise said:
Again, I am in awe and inspired by this enclosure. Good job and Mickey looks like he is enjoying it as well.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Is this the regular model designed critter condo for low humidity or the one designed for high humidity?
There are critter condos (used and cheap) for sale locally and im thinking of getting one for my leopard who currently lives in a closed chamber which isn't really nice looking but big and functional.
I was thinking I could just line it with thick plastic as you did since I think the ones for sale in my area are the low humidity models. (Seller kept bearded dragons previously)
Also wondering how to install my powersun 100 and ceramic heater in there since only one fixture is is the screw on type. Maybe I could hang my lamp in there somehow?