Closed Eyes

SpudTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales
Hi everyone
Meet Spud.
I've been the owner of my spud thigh Spud for about 4 months now. He's a year and half.
I recently upgraded his tortoise table to something bigger and that includes a hide. On replacing the tortoise table I changed his soil at the same time using a 50/50 mix of topsoil and playsand.

I then noticed that his eyes are near shut. He seems to rub them with his foot every now and then but there is no sign of any major swelling or discharge.

He is currently using a basking lamp and a 10% UV bulb.
He still seems fairly active in his tortoise table but it doesn't seem to touch his food as much as he usually does. Wether this is to do with the fact his eyes are closed - I don't know.

This has been on going for the 3rd day now.

I noticed other threads on the same subject which pointed toward dehydration. He's used to having baths at least 3 times a week - he's now been having daily soakings since I noticed the issue.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Are you using a UVB coil bulb that looks anything like these?
article-1075613-02F361FB00000578-154_468x471.jpg

url

If so, stop using it immediately. They are known to cause eye issues like what you are describing. The other thing that can cause eye issues is dry, dusty substrate. The sand in your substrate is not recommended, as it can be ingested and cause impaction and can cause eye and skin irritation. If the has sand in his eyes it could also cause symptoms like this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are two likely culprits - the bulb shown above, and the sand.

Start soaking your tortoise daily for at least a half hour. Remove that coil shaped bulb and take out all the substrate and change to either coco coir or fir bark.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use either one of these for UVB:

This one provides HEAT plus UVB mercury vapor bulb.jpg and I've only ever used a 100 watt

and this one only provides UVB T-5 fluorescent bulb.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Soaks will help him stay hydrated, hopefully with the changed lights and substrate he will get back to normal. Keep us updated.

Kyle

SpudTheTortoise

South Wales
Spud looks immediately happier with his new coco coir substrate. Thanks!
I also invested in a new UV/heat lamp as suggested. It's a little bigger than the previous one and I was unsure what sort of distance it needs to be from the ground. Currently it's about 4.5 inches away from the substrate (I haven't turned the new lamp on yet)
What sort of distance would be suitable?
Thanks so much for your help

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Spud. :)
That looks far to near the substrate to me, could burn Spud. The lamp should come with instructions for the distance it should be mounted above the top of the tortoise.

SpudTheTortoise

South Wales
Thanks! It seemed awfully close so good thing I didn't turn the thing on!
I found the recommendations on the instructions that were 20-30cm which I've now moved it too.
Thanks again :)