Coastal opuntia pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I ordered spinless opuntia pads from Coastal. They arrived on time and looked great. Care had been taken before shipping-they were wrapped in moist paper towel and put into plastic bags. Some were already rooted. Very pleased with both service and product. Good job!

lindsay44

5 Year Member
That's cool. I've been looking for a good place to buy some. I'll look into that. I'm currently trying to grow my own from seeds

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
jackrat said:
I ordered spinless opuntia pads from Coastal. They arrived on time and looked great. Care had been taken before shipping-they were wrapped in moist paper towel and put into plastic bags. Some were already rooted. Very pleased with both service and product. Good job!

I also was very pleased with the variegated pad I bought from coastal. Great packing and easy to order!

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Great idea to post about good experiences. I have had nothing but excellent service from coastal over the years too. I highly recommend them to everyone.

mattk

5 Year Member
delaware
Im curious as to what is coastals web address so i can see their site

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you do a "search" for the username Coastal, then click on his username when it comes up, you can see how to contact him.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
The website says they do have some spines. Is this different than the common one's I have? Mine have small spines on every little bud spot, but the spines are all tiny. I usually rub them on a board to get most of them off first before offering them. The tiny hair spines are irritating to me if I get one buried in my finger, so I do worry about the possibility of my greeks ingesting spines.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I got some cactus pads from Coastal also and was very pleased with them. I've potted them so hopefully they will do well here too.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
supremelysteve said:
The website says they do have some spines. Is this different than the common one's I have? Mine have small spines on every little bud spot, but the spines are all tiny. I usually rub them on a board to get most of them off first before offering them. The tiny hair spines are irritating to me if I get one buried in my finger, so I do worry about the possibility of my greeks ingesting spines.
Hold the pad over the flame on your stove with tongs and the spines sizzle right off. :D Fast and easy!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Torty Mom said:
supremelysteve said:
Hold the pad over the flame on your stove with tongs and the spines sizzle right off. :D Fast and easy!

After burning off the spines I also scrub them under running water with a scrub pad and wearing rubber gloves. That will take off any remaining glochids so they don't get into your fingers when handling them.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thanks for all the nice reviews, I just wanted to point out I offer 3 types of pads. 2 of these types are sold by the pad and are 100% spineless and smooth to the touch. The third type is sold by the pound and this type will have small spines here and there and is meant more for food but can also be planted. So not all of my cactus is the same it just depend on what your needs are.

Status
Not open for further replies.