coir compost ???

donna123

hi there, wondered if anyone can advise me.....bought some coir compost today for my 6 mth old Herrmann torts, they seemed to like it but am concerned because it is quite wet and they getting rather muddy and getting it in their food and water bowl.....am going to buy some play sand tomorrow as i have read this is good to mix but don't know how much to add....any advice please, tjanks

donna123

I searched it up and it is the same as coco coir. You should use coco coir because it is way cheaper.
cool thanks, i only paid £7 for a massive bag....glad to hear i bought the right stuff :) i also have a russian tort in her own enclosure...is it ok to use it for her too ? Do i need to mix it with anything ? Only as i said it seems rather wet to me....

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
cool thanks, i only paid £7 for a massive bag....glad to hear i bought the right stuff :) i also have a russian tort in her own enclosure...is it ok to use it for her too ? Do i need to mix it with anything ? Only as i said it seems rather wet to me....
yea coco coir is good of Russians

donna123

thankyou, just want the best for my little buddies you know, am still learning :) so to clarify....i don't need to mix it with anything...just pat it down flat ??