Composite enclosure build for our Redfooted.

JN75

Location (City and/or State)
Modesto CA
Enclosure mold.
enclosure mold.jpgmold release appliedGren mold release sprayed in mold.jpegwhite gelcoat backed up by black.Gelcoat sprayed in mold. White, backed by black.jpegLamination finished.Deburred part ready to remove from mold(1).jpegPart out of mold 2.jpegPulled out of mold and polished part.polishe part.jpegInsulation and window installed.open pic.jpgenclosure1.jpg20220509_164354.jpgLugarti substrate and Lugarti lighting installed. We've used all Lugarti products.
The enclosure maintains 90% + humidty even on a 100 degree California day. We tried other substrates for moisture in our original small enclosure. No other substrate maintained the higher humidity our Redfoot needs like Lugarti does.
20220509_164421.jpgMisting system installed for live plants. Along with some artificial plants.

20220509_164414.jpg

Attachments

• 20211008_190604.jpg
    20211008_190604.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 4
  • open pic.jpg
    open pic.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • PVC used as structure.jpeg
    PVC used as structure.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PVC used as structure.jpeg
    PVC used as structure.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 3

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow. That's taking time and using your skills! Where are the tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I couldn't figure out why anyone would make an enclosure shaped like that. Now I see that it is not an enclosure, it is an enclosure lid. Makes sense now. If you are going to keep a tortoise in the wrong climate, then what you have done is the way it should be done. That looks amazing and from what you said, it functions very well. You done an amazing job of designing and executing a solution to your problem. Well done.

The Lugarti substrate is a problem. Its made with sand and soil, both of which should never be used as substrate for tortoises. Humidity is a function of moisture levels. One substrate doesn't work any better than any other for this. Orchid bark is safe, and it maintains the necessary dry surface layer to prevent shell rot, while still being damp underneath for humidity. You can also get it cheaper in bulk here in CA.

Welcome to the forum. Check this out. It is for people new to the forum, not necessarily new to tortoises:

JN75

Modesto CA
The pic shows the substrate I used. Lugarti Natural Reptile Bedding. Been using it for years with no issues.20210711_093815.jpg

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
The part that I find concerning about the substrate you are using is this, sphagnum peat moss, extremely fine sand both can have a negative impact on the tortoise.