Concern

Location (City and/or State)
Palistine
Hello i have a little tortoise who i have been raising for almost two years and recently she developed a illness wich i am trying to help her and get her recovered but what i noticed is that her jaw became loose and now she can't even bite on a then piece of cucumber plus i have noticed that her neck is a bit more puffier , i can't take her to the vet as i haven't got any that provides care for tortoises around me. Please give me suggestions

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello i have a little tortoise who i have been raising for almost two years and recently she developed a illness wich i am trying to help her and get her recovered but what i noticed is that her jaw became loose and now she can't even bite on a then piece of cucumber plus i have noticed that her neck is a bit more puffier , i can't take her to the vet as i haven't got any that provides care for tortoises around me. Please give me suggestions
Was the tort dropped recently? It seriously needs a Vet but I realize that ain't gonna happen. What are you gonna do if she doesn't get better? If she's got broken bones she could be in serious pain.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What kind of illness did it develop? What other symptoms does it have? Do you think the jaw problem is caused by the illness or did it break in an accident or something? Can you send photos of the jaw?

Palistine
Was the tort dropped recently? It seriously needs a Vet but I realize that ain't gonna happen. What are you gonna do if she doesn't get better? If she's got broken bones she could be in serious pain.
She wasn't dropped and her jaw is okay she just cant bite on things probably she needs really soft things to eat she can eat lettuce and she drinks loads of water

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Are we talking about your baby tortoise with MBD? Have you been able to provide it with calcium and UV light? Even the UV light outside few times a week is better than nothing. If you can't find any calcium supplementation, try to find foods that are high in calcium and low in phosphorus. I read some of your previous threads and understand that you are in a hard situation...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pictures of the tortoise and the enclosure.
Give us a lost of the exact type of lighting and bulbs you are using, pictures would work good of them too.
What is the humidity?
Temps?
Basking temp, all over temp, night temp?
Substrate used?
List symptoms and what you are doing to try and help

Palistine
Are we talking about your baby tortoise with MBD? Have you been able to provide it with calcium and UV light? Even the UV light outside few times a week is better than nothing. If you can't find any calcium supplementation, try to find foods that are high in calcium and low in phosphorus. I read some of your previous threads and understand that you are in a hard situation...
Unfortunately even though I tried everything but sadly that tortoise didn't make it and now my other slightly bigger one is almost facing the same thing that is why she can't bite on things normally and since she is kinda big enough i will try to put her out side in her area that is covered with nets so sunlight can come through and provide her with vitamins

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What kind of vitamins are you providing? (vitamin D and calcium are usually the only supplements needed) If you use a calcium supplement meant for humans, make sure that it is 100% calcium carbonate. Could you answer @wellington questions?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. If you can manage to, please post some pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and try to answer the questions you have been asked. That's the best way to get help here, and it's apparently very serious at this point. Thanks!

Palistine
What kind of vitamins are you providing? (vitamin D and calcium are usually the only supplements needed) If you use a calcium supplement meant for humans, make sure that it is 100% calcium carbonate. Could you answer @wellington questions?
I went to vets and none of them provided me with animal calcium or vitamins d i tried using human calcium wich unfortunately didn't work for my first tortoise as i was too late so i stopped using it and now yesterday i discovered that my other tortoise gas the same thing due to lake of vitamins and answering to Wellington question i don't use temps as the temperature in were I live is warm always but in winter i put the tortoise in a warmer place where heat is provided at the moment i am relying on the sun and food wich has vitamins. Properly one of the other reasons is that i didn't know until a couple months ago that windows block uvb light. Its extremely hard to raise smaller tortoises where i live and during my first time raising a baby tortoise i didn't realise that because i only raised two older tortoises. ( Sorry if this was long)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Can you get Tums from the pharmacy? Cut a Tums in half then give it about 2 times a week...

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Doesn't it have addings are you sure it's safe for tortoises?
You have to check the booklet in a box with tablets. Tums should be plain calcium carbonate (you may also ask at pharmacy the cheapest calcium carbonate tablets). Make a fine powder out of tablets.

To absorb calcium UVB is required so your tortoise must have an access to natural sun everyday (just be sure to provide some shade outdoors to avoid overheating).

Palistine
You have to check the booklet in a box with tablets. Tums should be plain calcium carbonate (you may also ask at pharmacy the cheapest calcium carbonate tablets). Make a fine powder out of tablets.

To absorb calcium UVB is required so your tortoise must have an access to natural sun everyday (just be sure to provide some shade outdoors to avoid overheating).
Is it enough to give her sunlight every day but without giving her and pills because I don't want to take a risk or is it obligated

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Is it enough to give her sunlight every day but without giving her and pills because I don't want to take a risk or is it obligated
The pills will give him the calcium and sun the vitamin D. Crushed into a powder and given with food shouldn't pose a threat. And of course when given like @Maggie3fan suggest, there is no risk for overdose

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
For a healthy tortoise - yes, it's enough. But we suspect calcium deficiency here so we need to help it a little. Calcium carbonate powder is the same thing as calcium powder for reptiles, no risk here. You do not need to give it pills - crush a tablet into a powder and add a small pinch to its daily meal.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Doesn't it have addings are you sure it's safe for tortoises?
Yes it's safe! She has many years experience and wouldn't tell you to use it if not safe.
Tortoises have to bask in 95-100 temps to properly digest it's food.
Babies should be housed inside a closed chamber enclosure with proper temps and humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it's safe for tortoises.