Concerned about my new Russian

MellyB

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
91C219DA-8761-4619-AEAD-AAF523B91550.jpeg so we have had Nellie for 5 days now.
I know all her temps are good 95 basking 80 in the middle and 70 at the cool end. She is on 3” of sterilised topsoil which I dampen twice daily her lights at the minute are on from 7 am till 9pm.
I am giving her daily 30 min soaks In warm water and she has pooped everyday except yesterday (today was a bit different as the poop popped straight up to the surface were as the others all stayed on the bottom). I have only seen egg white like urates once which was on Saturday. She just doesn’t seem to want to eat though. I started off with all good stuff weeds etc from the approved lists and care sheets but now have become desperate and have even tried her with stuff I know that she shouldn’t really eat but it was what the pet shop was feeding her. But alas no further forward. She also burrows herself under the topsoil and does not come out unless I find her and dig her up for her soak and to try to encourage some eating. Is this normal behaviour for a newly moved tort? Is she still settling in?? When should I get worried.? Forgot to say she has been holding her weight st 134g.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Perfectly normal for a new tort. She’s still getting used to her surroundings.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thanks for your quick reply have made
Me feel a little calmer.
I just don’t know what it about this little shelled being that makes me worry all the time!!!

I’m sure we can all relate! When you get a new Tortoise, every little problem is always pretty scary ;)

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It helps if we can see pictures of the enclosure, just so we can be sure there isn’t more going on than jitters.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I would also say she's just trying to adjust to her new home. I've had tortoises first arrive and not eat for close to a week, and now they are up when their lights turn on and are waiting for their breakfast.

Keep soaking her, and keep giving her food. She'll eat when she's ready.

Beautiful tortoise too! You're going to love Russians! So much spunk!

MellyB

United Kingdom
0B4CD106-2436-478C-AA34-FECD765CA37D.jpeg Thanks everyone for their response.
I have included a picture of her enclosure. I have made a couple of changes since this photo, I have removed the black hide and replaced it with a terracotta plant pot I have half buried in the soil and I have also moved the Mvb up as temps were getting to about 110 so are now getting to about 95 - 97

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I have an outdoor tortoise and thus not good with enclosures. But I know someone will ask if the bulb in your lamp is a coil type, because those can bother a tortoise’s eyes. I can’t see what type it is, just know to ask the question. :)

MellyB

United Kingdom
I have an outdoor tortoise and thus not good with enclosures. But I know someone will ask if the bulb in your lamp is a coil type, because those can bother a tortoise’s eyes. I can’t see what type it is, just know to ask the question. :)
I knew that would be asked so I did put in the post it was an MVB

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
That's a cool tortoise table. Did you make it or buy it? What is it made of? It looks great:)

MellyB

United Kingdom
That's a cool tortoise table. Did you make it or buy it? What is it made of? It looks great:)
I bought it from an online retailer here in the uk, the guy hand makes them I can’t remember the exact material it’s not wood it’s a kind of chemical free plastic.

MellyB

United Kingdom
image.jpg :rolleyes:UPDATE:
Nellie still not really eating, still not getting up on her own having to fetch her out in the mornings. I put her under her lamp to warm up for a bit then give her a nice warm soak for about half an hour. She is still pooping everyday and saw more creamy urates yesterday. Seems quite active this morning has been exploring for about an hour and a half now but not really interested in the fresh greens I have put her or the soaked pellets I resorted to putting in, as that was what the pet shop had been giving her. She just walks through them trailing topsoil all over them. Question though should I change the food if she gets soil all over it?? When should I start to worry about the not eating thing? She now weighs 135g by the way so an increase of 1g since I got her. Pretty sure that’s probably because I am soaking her everyday instead of the once a week the pet shop were doing. Keep giving her s quick check over after her soak and weigh I. And I can’t see anything concerning about her. Sigh....... guess more patience needed:tort::tort:. Picture taken this morning exploring!!. Does anyone think she looks a bit scrawny???

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
If she's gaining any weight and pooping and peeing regularly, then she's fine. You said she is also active and roaming her enclosure on her own, so that's definitely nothing to worry about.

Russians are grazers, so when you put her food down, leave it for part of the day and she will nibble at it when she wants to (most likely when you're not watching her for now). She won't eat it all in a single sitting.

I've had sub-adult Russians not eat for a full week at first, but now they come to their breakfast as soon as I put it down and will gradually eat it all by the afternoon.

If you want, you can put her lights on a timer. Mine go on at 5am and off at 5pm, so 12 hours of indoor daylight. My tortoises are used to it now and are roaming within minutes after the lights turn on, usually basking while they wait for breakfast.