Concerned dad

Mort the Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Mount Clemens, MI 48043
Hey guys. My adult male horsfield ate a couple small pebbles that he dug up in his outside enclosure today. I caught him right away, so it was only like 1 or 2...will he be ok to pass those? Please let me know. I'm concerned. Thank you.

Justin

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
He probably will. You definitely want to do some rockpebble cleanup before you put him back out there though. All you can do is keep an eye on him. I wouldn't change his routine or he may start acting funny for a different reason and that would scare the heck out of you. So if that was the first or one of the first times you put him out I wouldn't recommend doing so again until he passes those pebbles...

Mort the Tort

Mount Clemens, MI 48043
Ok, cool I won't. And I'll def be digging down deeper for pebbles. Would soaking him daily help him pass them faster? I soak him 1-2 times a week already.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually, if it fits through the pipes at the front end, it will fit through the pipes at the back end. But to help it along a little, you can feed a lot of wet foods for a week or so - aloe, opuntia cactus, cucumber, etc. Even some iceburg lettuce would help move things along.