Outdoor enclosure

BowzerMom0424

Location (City and/or State)
Nevada
Hello,

We live in Las Vegas and are working on an outdoor enclosure for our adult male Russian tortise. What outdoor temperatures can he hang outside in? For how long? It has been mid 80s recently. We currently have top soil and small pebbles on the ground for him with a shaded loft.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The weather really doesn't matter all that much as long as he has shade and places he can dig down into the earth to bury himself.

(I'm not a fan of pebbles. They get pretty hot in the sun and they also inhibit digging)

L

LasTortugasNinja

My Russian goes out in the mornings in his outdoor pen and is there until I bring him in around dinner (by which time the pen is in deep shade and rather cool). I’m in Utah, and looking at almanacs, Utah & Nevada share a similar climate to most of the Russian tortoise’s native range.

strongly agree with @Yvonne G that pebbles aren’t the way to go, especially ones small enough to eat. I recommend mixing in some fir wood chips or coconut chips to help absorb some of the desert morning humidity. in the wilds, they dig really deep humid holes to wait out the warmest parts of the day. Generally speaking, human pet-parents don’t appreciate that, so humid mini-holes are a nice compromise. Retaining moisture is key to surviving as an arid species.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
I live in Las Vegas as well. I built an outdoor enclosure with a burrow, mine lives outdoors all year round, rain or shine.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Here is an update on Toby's outdoor enclosure. I planted a bunch of crimson clover, yellow clover, strawberry cover and dandelion seeds in his food court, hopefully the sprout quickly. I also feed him tortoise food, which was not out as we had a little rain that day. I Still have a few more items I want to add. Toby lives outdoors all year round. I let him hibernate naturally and he seems to be content, fat and happy. Hopefully my video attaches.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Okay, I can't upload my video. Why is this so difficult to do on this site?

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Okay, I cant post the video, so here are some pics instead. His burrow entrance is by the flag.
1646924464697.png1646924484349.png1646924507819.png1646924529556.png1646924552803.png

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My general rule is, if I can be outside in a t-shirt, it's warm enough for them to be out. With Russians, it is even more open, as they can handle cold. Since they can dig down, they can even survive Nebraska winters outside, if they have to.

I have lots of plants for grazing, hiding under, shade and humidity.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
He doesn't climb out? Other then climbing concerns it looks pretty nice.
No, the walls are to high for him, plus it has a screen that covers the enclosure to keep other critters from getting inside.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
My general rule is, if I can be outside in a t-shirt, it's warm enough for them to be out. With Russians, it is even more open, as they can handle cold. Since they can dig down, they can even survive Nebraska winters outside, if they have to.

I have lots of plants for grazing, hiding under, shade and humidity.
I planted a bunch of dandelions and clover, once they sprout he will have a forest of food.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I planted a bunch of dandelions and clover, once they sprout he will have a forest of food.
Please don't take that in any way as a negative on your enclosure, was just trying to describe my own. A picture today, would just show some bumps under snow. ❄️❄️❄️☃️

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Okay, I cant post the video, so here are some pics instead. His burrow entrance is by the flag.
View attachment 341560View attachment 341561View attachment 341562View attachment 341563View attachment 341564
Looks good! Just check, those flowers in the bottom right are marigolds and secrete an insectiside, I'm not sure if russians can eat them, but a good place to look plants up is The Tortoise Table
Anyway, the enclosure looks great!

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Looks good! Just check, those flowers in the bottom right are marigolds and secrete an insectiside, I'm not sure if russians can eat them, but a good place to look plants up is The Tortoise Table

I saw a website that said they are safe for Russian tortoises to eat, he has had them in his enclosure for the last 3 years but never eats them. But he devours the pansies.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
This looks great! Well done building this.

Three suggestions for changes:
1) The back corner and front corner by the fountain both are climbing hazards - my Russian tortoise would scale that in minutes, Spider-Man-style.
2) the marigolds in your enclosure are African/French marigolds, which are NOT safe for tortoises. Compare with pot marigolds (Calendula) which ARE safe.
3) the ramped water bowl in the front right by the fountain has steep edges, and I personally know 2 tortoises who drownes because they flipped and got stuck because of the shape. A plantig saucer or a Pyrex pie dish would be better

satdiver

10 Year Member!
This looks great! Well done building this.

Three suggestions for changes:
1) The back corner and front corner by the fountain both are climbing hazards - my Russian tortoise would scale that in minutes, Spider-Man-style.
2) the marigolds in your enclosure are African/French marigolds, which are NOT safe for tortoises. Compare with pot marigolds (Calendula) which ARE safe.
3) the ramped water bowl in the front right by the fountain has steep edges, and I personally know 2 tortoises who drownes because they flipped and got stuck because of the shape. A plantig saucer or a Pyrex pie dish would be better
Thank you for the marigold info. I will pull those out. And get a different water 💦 dish