Concerned Mama here....

missjmg19

Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Atlantic USA
No!!!! You'll drown him!
His head should be comfortably above the water.
i let mine soak for a few minutes and then splash water over the top of the shell and head, gently rubbing the shell if it's dirty.
Some use a soft bristle toothbrush to help with cleaning sometimes.

Okay....was thinking that was reason. So.....we get water ready and then just plop him in there and let him hiss??? Obviously we will stay right there with him, but we won't flip himself over or anything will he?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
An opaque plastic container with high sides is best, so he can't see out.
This reduces panic and trying to escape (but doesn't eliminate it).
He shouldn't hiss or flip, but he will probably try to climb out and look very distressed.
Sorry, but it's for his own good.
Most seem to get used to it.
Some don't.
Mine loves it now.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
An opaque plastic container with high sides is best, so he can't see out.
This reduces panic and trying to escape (but doesn't eliminate it).
He shouldn't hiss or flip, but he will probably try to climb out and look very distressed.
Sorry, but it's for his own good.
Most seem to get used to it.
Some don't.
Mine loves it now.

Great....we are all set! I have an oblong brand new mop bucket that we plan to use. I am going to go buy a cat litter, but will use this for now. Should there be room for him to walk around in the water......or does that not matter?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Don't suppose it matters too much.
i allow space so Tidgy can turn around and walk a few paces, but that's all.
She needs room to stretch and relax, but not run about.

surfergirl

A large plastic kiddie pool setup makes a nice size temp outdoor enclosure until you can build larger more permanent ones. Search the enclosures forum and there are tons of quick setups to make sure he stays with you. :) so many people lose their torts letting them get outdoor time without a proper enclosure they cannot escape from. Horror stories from many of running over their own torts, etc.

My russian love being outside all warm season long

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
A large plastic kiddie pool setup makes a nice size temp outdoor enclosure until you can build larger more permanent ones. Search the enclosures forum and there are tons of quick setups to make sure he stays with you. :) so many people lose their torts letting them get outdoor time without a proper enclosure they cannot escape from. Horror stories from many of running over their own torts, etc.

My russian love being outside all warm season long

Great idea...thank you! Ours canot live outdoors be ause we dont have room for a permanent enclosure (small yard), but kiddie pool would be terrific. We pan to bri g him out at leasr 4 or 5 ti,es per week weather permitting.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
So.....we get water ready and then just plop him in there and let him hiss???

The sound you may hear isn't hissing; it's the noise that results from him pulling his head and limbs into his shell very quickly. They do it when they are startled. It startles us, too!

You're doing great so far!

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
The sound you may hear isn't hissing; it's the noise that results from him pulling his head and limbs into his shell very quickly. They do it when they are startled. It startles us, too!

You're doing great so far!

Oh.....so good to know! Thank you. I kept thinking he was mad or something!!! lol