CONFUSED ABOUT HEATING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisestew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South East Texas
I use heat panels for my snakes. I'm think of switching my Sulcatas CHE to a heat panel in his enclosure.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I bought three radiant heat panels several years ago to the tune of $79.95 apiece. They didn't work out for me. In order to have them close enough for the tortoise to feel the heat, they had to be mounted on the wall right next to the floor. At that height, the tortoise was able to bump against them and they were wrecked in almost no time at all. In all honesty, they were't the same brand that you pictured.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
These can be installed to the ceiling of your torts enclosure...provided you're using a solid lid, i.e. wood. plastic, plexiglass. The heat actually forces its way down.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks for passing on the information. I have a Rubbermaid dog house that I plan to use for their warm hide outside. This would work nicely and saves me trying to hook up a fixture.
Good reptile site, too!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
lynnedit said:
Thanks for passing on the information. I have a Rubbermaid dog house that I plan to use for their warm hide outside. This would work nicely and saves me trying to hook up a fixture.
Good reptile site, too!

This sounds like a good use for one. Let us know which wattage and at what height you decide to go with. It's a ways off for me until I need one but always thinking ahead. :cool:

DeanS said:
Tom introduced me to these a few weeks back. They're what I'm running with now...and I'm not looking back!

http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

Thanks for the info. Let us know how you are using them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm using two of these right now. It has not gotten really cold yet, but we have seen the low 40's at night, and so far so good. I have one in with Bert, my loner male adult sulcata. His box is 4x4x2'. So far the RHP has kept his box right around 70, which is where I have the thermostat set. My other RHP is in my monitor lizards box which is all buried except for the lid. This box is also 4x4x2'. This one keeps the same temp, but due to being buried, it is using about 1/3 the electricity of the above ground box so far. Both panels are 80 watts. The real test will be when we get our winter cold spells where temps are below freezing all night.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
i wonder how many hours they are good for? i didnt see anything about it on the website.

Status
Not open for further replies.