Constipation? What yo Do?

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I think my Western Hermann’s is constipated. Yesterday, Matteo didn’t poop in his 30-minute bath at all. Today, I extended it to 40 minutes before he began to poop, and it’s broken and not as large as usual.

I did skip a bath several days ago. Would this be an issue? He’s about 62g now and 8 months old.

I have some cucumbers but they are not organic.

I’ve never seen urates in in bath either in the 6 months I’ve had him.

Advice please. Thanks.image.jpg

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Non organic cucumber should be just fine.
That and Aloe are the best laxatives I can imagine.
Is he warm enough?
Without temperatures above 80f digestion is difficult.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... as long as it’s defecating...thats a good thing. Longer, warm water soaks help a bunch.

Ps....non-organic for your tort is perfectly fine. Few keepers feed only organic.

Last edited:

Quixx66

Louisiana
Non organic cucumber should be just fine.
That and Aloe are the best laxatives I can imagine.
Is he warm enough?
Without temperatures above 80f digestion is difficult.
His basking spot where he eats gets into the low-to-mid 90s. The spot he chooses for sleep is currently 61. He just (unusually) skipped his post-bath meal and went back to bed.

I’ll be sure to order him some organic aloe plants if I can find them on Etsy, etc. If not, mom has some regular in her pot outside.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Quixx66

Louisiana
Greetings... as long as it’s defecating...thats a good thing. Longer, warm water soaks help a bunch.

Ps....non-organic for your tort is perfectly fine. Few keepers feed only organic.
Thank you. I was worried I’d poison him. I did just give him the longest bath ever, about 50 minutes, and he pooped a little bit.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I always grate some cucumber to a mush to put on his food if my tort hasn't pooped for a while - I have no evidence for this but I think that it may work quicker that way.
I read somewhere on the forums that you shouldn't feed the peel or seeds so I just grate the flesh.
How long between poops? My tort doesn't poop every day and there can be quite a gap between them especially in the winter, maybe because his diet is mainly shop bought and he's not as active but the long soaks, cucumber and aloe tend to work.

Quixx66

Louisiana
I always grate some cucumber to a mush to put on his food if my tort hasn't pooped for a while - I have no evidence for this but I think that it may work quicker that way.
I read somewhere on the forums that you shouldn't feed the peel or seeds so I just grate the flesh.
How long between poops? My tort doesn't poop every day and there can be quite a gap between them especially in the winter, maybe because his diet is mainly shop bought and he's not as active but the long soaks, cucumber and aloe tend to work.
Glad you told me about the mush and the seeds. I just cut some. I got worried because he usually produces a good-sized log every day. He’s never skipped. Thanks.