Constipation

Minority2

Location (City and/or State)
Tortoise Hell
That dual dome bulb setup is a waste of money. The dome opening is too small to give off enough light and or heat.

Consider purchasing something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721TG86M/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
With:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PNK42W8/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Use one, keep the other as a backup when the first one stops working or if it becomes less effective overtime.

Strongly consider purchasing a solarmeter in order to keep track of your uv(B) rating inside of the enclosure to know how much uv the tortoise is receiving.

Basking light fixture with a wide opening:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BM5YZW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
With something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ1E4M/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

If your enclosure is an open top design you may want to also consdier getting either another lamp fixture for a ceramic heat emitter or simply purchasing a reptile heat panel and install that panel onto the inner side of your enclosure.

Solano

Lakewood
What about these 2 for my UVB and heating?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-225231_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-225231_Chrome.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200810-225241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-225241_Chrome.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 8

Solano

Lakewood
Or these two im sorry im bugging i just want the correct lighting for my russian

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200810-225241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-225241_Chrome.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200810-225231_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200810-225231_Chrome.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 4

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I don't have the set up for the tube light as if now is there a bulb similar to the t5 i can use in this fixture?
hatchlings don't require as much UV since they're always hiding in the wild so I would say it's not going to hurt it if you order one on Amazon and have to wait a week but I would suggest quit using those bulbs immediately as they will burn their eyes according to several members of The Forum

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
What about these 2 for my UVB and heating?

T8 fixtures are not as effective as the newer t5 fixtures. The bulbs themselves don't possess as much uv(B) nor do they last as long as the newer t5's. Buy once, cry once. Don't waste your money on something you'll likely have to replace in the near future. If the model I linked is not available find whatever generic branded t5 fixture available. If it looks durable, definitely buy it over those expensively priced reptile branded ones.

Make sure to either purchase only reptisun or arcadia branded t5 bulbs. I suggested 10.0 because the 5.0 may not always be enough depending on how high you'll need to hang your fixtures.

A single ceramic heat emitter is not enough for any type of enclosure. That will only provide ambient heating at best for the smaller-sized enclosures. You'll also need an incandescent flood bulb for a basking area which needs to achieve around 95-105F 10-12 hours per day.

Read and follow this guide for all your Russian tortoise needs:

How old is your tortoise? On one of the pictures I've seen it looked older than a hatchling. Maybe a yearling at least, possibly older. Or is it that my eyes are starting to go?

Solano

Lakewood
T8 fixtures are not as effective as the newer t5 fixtures. The bulbs themselves don't possess as much uv(B) nor do they last as long as the newer t5's. Buy once, cry once. Don't waste your money on something you'll likely have to replace in the near future. If the model I linked is not available find whatever generic branded t5 fixture available. If it looks durable, definitely buy it over those expensively priced reptile branded ones.

Make sure to either purchase only reptisun or arcadia branded t5 bulbs. I suggested 10.0 because the 5.0 may not always be enough depending on how high you'll need to hang your fixtures.

A single ceramic heat emitter is not enough for any type of enclosure. That will only provide ambient heating at best for the smaller-sized enclosures. You'll also need an incandescent flood bulb for a basking area which needs to achieve around 95-105F 10-12 hours per day.

Read and follow this guide for all your Russian tortoise needs:

How old is your tortoise? On one of the pictures I've seen it looked older than a hatchling. Maybe a yearling at least, possibly older. Or is it that my eyes are starting to go?
I've heard a few different things about his age im still unsure ive only had him a few weeks 20200806_160230.jpg

Attachments

• 20200713_194600.jpg
    20200713_194600.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 10

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I have a Russian tortoise too. My advice is to buy a small kitty litter tub or something like that just for your tortoise to bathe in, so you don’t accidentally use something else that has has chemicals in it. Fill up the tub about 1/5 of the way with lukewarm water ( like u would a baby) just so ur tort’s legs and tail are covered. My Russian tortoise won’t go if I’m watching him, so I put let him be in the bathroom for about 20-30 min, checking on him and the water temp every 10 ish minutes. For lighting, i use a clip on reptile lamp that you can buy on amazon or online. I use a 75w reptile bulb and keep it about 6-10 inches away from my tortoise. I also recommend getting a thermometer and hydrometer to measure temp and humidity. Make sure he/she gets enough leafy greens and vitamins and calcium. That also helps. Letting them run around ( like in a yard with no pesticides) can get him/ her active enough that it’ll naturally come out. Hope these tips help :)

Solano

Lakewood
I have a Russian tortoise too. My advice is to buy a small kitty litter tub or something like that just for your tortoise to bathe in, so you don’t accidentally use something else that has has chemicals in it. Fill up the tub about 1/5 of the way with lukewarm water ( like u would a baby) just so ur tort’s legs and tail are covered. My Russian tortoise won’t go if I’m watching him, so I put let him be in the bathroom for about 20-30 min, checking on him and the water temp every 10 ish minutes. For lighting, i use a clip on reptile lamp that you can buy on amazon or online. I use a 75w reptile bulb and keep it about 6-10 inches away from my tortoise. I also recommend getting a thermometer and hydrometer to measure temp and humidity. Make sure he/she gets enough leafy greens and vitamins and calcium. That also helps. Letting them run around ( like in a yard with no pesticides) can get him/ her active enough that it’ll naturally come out. Hope these tips help :)
Is a 100watt ceramic bulb too much i notice u said u have a 75 watt bulb I just purchased these is it too much wattage? I bathed him yesterday and today and he used the bathroom just fine Screenshot_20200811-212804_Chrome.jpg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
You don't really need to provide any additional heating during soakings. Put the soaking tray/tub in the bathroom and leave a light on if it's too dark. Better yet, leave the tray/tub outside and let your tortoise get some sun, supervised of course.

Routinely adding or changing out warm water will be enough. Why do you need those two ceramic heat emitters?

Solano

Lakewood
You don't really need to provide any additional heating during soakings. Put the soaking tray/tub in the bathroom and leave a light on if it's too dark. Better yet, leave the tray/tub outside and let your tortoise get some sun, supervised of course.

Routinely adding or changing out warm water will be enough. Why do you need those two ceramic heat emitters?
They aren't for soaking its for his enclosure

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello I have a russian tortoise and he seems to maybe constipated he did already use the bathroom but looks like he may still have more and can't quite get it all out how can I help is this something I should be worried about?
Feed him Opuntia Cactus, soak more often and increase the humidity.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

??????????????
My sulcata will not go to the bathroom if I am watching either!!!! ????
She looks at me like....uh..... could you go busy yourself till I can make something happen here ?... or are you just gonna stand there and watch? ????

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
??????????????
My sulcata will not go to the bathroom if I am watching either!!!! ????
She looks at me like....uh..... could you go busy yourself till I can make something happen here ?... or are you just gonna stand there and watch? ????

upon what date did I become the janitor of my tortoises bowels????? I am sure my mother had other plans for me when giving birth???? ?