Contemplating a Sulcata

Jonathan Sprague

Hi All!

I've recently signed up to the forum as I have a Hermann's tortoise but I've been contemplating getting a Sulcata for quite a while now. The reason I say 'contemplating' is I have some reservations and want to ensure whatever I'm doing is best for the tortoise in the long run.

Firstly, I live in the UK and within 2-3 years I would expect the Sulcata to live outside, I do have a large shed I am going to kit out for the tortoise to live in but I am concerned our weather conditions here are simply too cold - despite the fact I know a lot of people keep them in this country. During the depths of winter temperatures outside can easily drop to -3 degrees. I've read some people saying as long as the shed is well insulated and heated they'll be fine and may even wonder out if they've got their body temperature up to where it needs to be, but is that the case?

Secondly, I've seen that most juveniles are kept within enclosed indoor enclosures for the purpose of maintaining temperatures and humidity but what will work as an enclosed enclosure? I have seen a fish fish tanks available but I was also wondering if things such as vivariums work?

Any help would be much appreciated!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would go with a smaller Tortoise . Sulcatas are costly to keep in the winter . Trust me I live in Texas and our winters aren't bad but I have to keep them heated . Make sure they are inside at night . It's a lot of work . I would get a group of Russian Tortoises . Setup the shed for them . They act like a sulcata but are much easier to house and work with . As you age the tortoise will get bigger . Ten years from now are you going to have help picking up a 100 lbs Tortoise to put in his shed ? I would really think of all the things that could cause a headache later . I have two that are 80 lbs that I have to pickup every night and put away it's work .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
A Sulcata in that cold would be very expensive and a lot of work as mentioned. Enclosures that you can buy are not big enough by the time they are a year or 2 old. Most build their own.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With enough time, money and effort, any species can be kept anywhere in the world.

Personally, I would not keep a tropical giant tortoise species in a climate like yours. Its just not worth it, and most people end up making a lot of practical compromises that are not in the tortoises best interest.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I pretty much disagree with the 2 posters before Tom, I agree with Tom's first sentence, the second sentence is his opinion. I have kept sulcatas and other species for 19 years in a cold climate area ( just outside of Washington DC) and enjoy doing it. If it is something you really want to do, do it. There are insulation's and heat sources out there today that will keep your winter time heating cost at a minimum. and yes they do venture out into the cold and snow and return to their heated house without my help, at least my five do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. I don't have a sulcata but I do agree that if you have the money to build, insulate and heat a good size shed, then a large tortoise is easily doable. It does take a littl more money, but even those living in our warmer states here have to provide heat at some point just maybe not as long or only at night. If they are for sale in your country then why shouldn't you enjoy one too

Jonathan Sprague

Hi All!

Thanks for all of your great replies. I must admit the Mike did put me off a little but its been great to hear the different opinions.

I probably should have mentioned more in my initial post but in terms of cost, I really am not going to be sparing any expense. I have already eyed up a large shed for next year along with multiple insulators and garden plans. The reason I asked about the indoor enclosure is I don't want to be going all out as within 8-10 months I'd like to have the Sulcata living outside permanently. But I want to ensure I don't build a tortoise table when in reality it'd be far better for the tortoise to live in a viv.

Turtulas-len: could you link me to the heaters you use?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Vivariums, closed chambers and any enclosure that is closed off from the cooler, drier room air all work well for a baby sulcata.

In the vast majority of cases, a sulcata baby will not be large enough to live outside full time within 8-10 months. Many times in climates like yours and when breeders start them too dry, they grow a lot slower than "normal". I think the best idea is to give it your best shot and move him outside full time whenever he reaches the right size. No need to put a time frame on it because there is no way to predict how fast it will grow.