Converting Large Garden Box For Outside??

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
We have 5 large garden boxes in our yard, but this year we didn’t use them all. The one left is high, and has cement blocks/ sidewalk in front, a cement block on one side, and rocks on the other. It’s bigger than it looks in the pics. If I took 1/2 the soil out would that work for my Russian Myrtel to be out in some days with a screen on top in case cats come by? I do have him roaming the yard but only if I’m out with him. Some guy in our area had his tortoise stolen so that’s a concern too. I’d read the Russians are avid diggers, so not sure if this is a great idea? I’m thinking if he tunneles out under the cement sidewalk , or that’s unlikely? IMG_0276.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0273.jpeg
    IMG_0273.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0274.jpeg
    IMG_0274.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He won't really dig out but they can climb like a monkey. Putting a secure top on it made from a wood 2x2's and chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing attached to it would make it safe from and cats or other things. Hinges and a lock would make it human safe.
Most likely your friends tortoise got out or taken from a predator more than stolen. Stolen is possible but not as likely as getting out.
Btw, an adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
He won't really dig out but they can climb like a monkey. Putting a secure top on it made from a wood 2x2's and chicken wire or hardware cloth fencing attached to it would make it safe from and cats or other things. Hinges and a lock would make it human safe.
Most likely your friends tortoise got out or taken from a predator more than stolen. Stolen is possible but not as likely as getting out.
Btw, an adult Russian needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot
Thanks very much, I will buy some 2x2’s and chicken wire tomorrow