Cool and Warm End

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
In recent inquires and readings I have come to notice that a tortoise needs a warm and cool end. I have a Greek, about, year old, and I was wondering if a warm and cool end is truly necessary. If so, what should the temperature be in either side and how could I tell what the two temperatures are if I have just one thermometer? Currently my heat lamp is in the middle of his enclosure so the temperature is about equal everywhere. Lastly, I have a cave he uses as a hide, which side should it be one?
Sorry for so many questions. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I believe a temperature gradient is necessary just so the tortoise can choose a side it prefers. The warm side lets the tortoise get to the temperature it needs to function and has the cool side as an option if it becomes too warm. Get yourself a temp gun to check temps anywhere in the enclosure at any time. You can find affordable ones online or at a home improvement store. As for your hide question, I honestly don't know. If you have a warm side and cool side, maybe put it in the middle.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
I put a hide on both sides so they have an option

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good info in both of the above posts.

Get a thermometer with a remote probe so you can know the temperatures all over your enclosure. Your light should be to one side, not in the middle. Click the links in my signature for more info.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Even with the lamp in the middle you should this get a warm center and cooler sides unless your enclosure is very small. How big is your enclosure? ?

I also have a greek and the lamp in the middle.