Cool side temperature in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
Is 92 degrees too hot for the cool side in my enclosure? I use a 125 uvb on the basking side and a 25 on the cool side but sometimes it gets over 80 but if I dont use the 25 watt it goes below 80. I have a che that I use at night and I was trying to use that instead of the 25 watt during the day too, but when I picked him up he always seems to be cold

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
It's at 90 now

Also, I was thinking about using a heating pad for him at night instead of my che. He is in a enclosure I built him out of wood. Any opinions on the heating pad?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
92 is fine for a daytime high, even on the "cool" side. What temp is your warm side and basking spot when the cool side is that warm? You can eliminate the 25 and stabilize your ambient day and night if you put your CHE on a thermostat. During the day when its warm enough it will just stay off. If the temp drops below 80, day or night, it will kick back on.

I would not use a heating pad.

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
The basking side gets as hot as 111 some days. The problem i'm having with the che is that it doesn't really seem like it's keeping him warm enough. The thermometer never shows it going below 80,
But when I pick him up he feels a little cold

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Cool side temperature in enclosure

Tom said:
92 is fine for a daytime high, even on the "cool" side. What temp is your warm side and basking spot when the cool side is that warm? You can eliminate the 25 and stabilize your ambient day and night if you put your CHE on a thermostat. During the day when its warm enough it will just stay off. If the temp drops below 80, day or night, it will kick back on.

What do you think the max daytime high can be for the cool side? And how long can it be that way???

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lindseyjordan10 said:
The basking side gets as hot as 111 some days. The problem i'm having with the che is that it doesn't really seem like it's keeping him warm enough. The thermometer never shows it going below 80,
But when I pick him up he feels a little cold

Don't go by how anything "feels". Use an accurate temp gun or remote probed thermometer, check it, and make adjustments accordingly. If its getting up to 111 under the basking lamp, you should raise the bulb a bit.

J REED

5 Year Member

J REED said:
Tom said:

What do you think the max daytime high can be for the cool side? And how long can it be that way???

Jeremy

Jeremy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
J REED said:

I would not let the ambient get above the mid 90's. Let me be clear though. I don't think its a problem if the temps creep up into the 90s during the day, but the ambient does not "need" to be that warm.

J REED

5 Year Member
Thinking about putting back in garage and tested yesterday on an identical chamber and about 1pm to 4-5 pm the cool side digi thermo said 94-95....warm side was about 96

Jeremy

lindseyjordan10

5 Year Member
My cool side sometimes gets up to 95 during the day, but if it's any cooler he doesn't seem to get up. When i added the second heat lamp he started getting up more and eating a lot more

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Might be light and not heat. Try putting a tube style florescent bulb over there instead of a heat bulb.

J REED

5 Year Member

Tom said:
Might be light and not heat. Try putting a tube style florescent bulb over there instead of a heat bulb.

Thats whats there..no heat lamp on cool side..only MVB on basking side 100w

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.