Coolest turtle, ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
AnnV said:
Wow, I never saw an albino turtle or tortoise! Very interesting and beautiful.

Diabolique, is this a true birthmark, or do you know if you are a chimera? (Possessing 2 sets of DNA)

Ann from CT

Wow, you know, I have no idea! I (and my parents) just assumed its a birthmark. It doesn't have a different texture, it's simply darker. Picture spilling chocolate milk on a white table cloth, that's pretty much what the edges and the mark look like. Now you got me curious about the chimera!

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
No worries, I'm glad you were so cool about the conversation. Its all good and to each their own. Thanks!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
You're not the only one that's in love with this turtle. It's absurd. If I saw this guy a few years ago, my head would have exploded. I wouldn't have been ready for it. Luckily, seeing all your threads for a while has prepared me.

If Gerard showed up tomorrow with a two-headed, albino Bog Turtle x Rafetus hybrid, I'd only be a little surprised.. ;-)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
If Gerard showed up tomorrow with a two-headed, albino Bog Turtle x Rafetus hybrid, I'd only be a little surprised.. ;-)

Funny you say that, I saw some bog turtle hybrids a few months ago. I was Dr. Peter Prichards place and he was showing me some WILD muhlenbergii x guttata hybrids a student found at a study site. I will go by there this week and get some pics of them, they were very interesting. I'm not into hybrids at all, but still interesting.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Ah ha.. There were some old photos of "Spogs" on an old website that I saw years ago. I bet Dr. Pritchard's animals have something to do with those old pics. I'll try to find a link..

In a semi related thought, I was going through YouTube recently, and there was a video of a "Weird Turtle Collection," and it turned out to be Dr. Pritchard's place. The video title kinda irked me. Sow some respect for such an intelligent and important man and his passion. But, I guess if you're not a turtle nerd like us, you don't understand. I found it rather rude though, and it also sparked a little jealousy, that this gentleman who makes light of Dr. Pritchard's work somehow gets to make a video about him. The video did appear well done, but not the title. Perhaps the person took the video from elsewhere and just reposted it.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Not being able to produce pigmentation is considered disadvantageous. I am surprised to hear that you have caught so many albino animals in the wild, because lack of pigmentation makes it harder to camouflage, and therefore harder to hide from predators or remain hidden from prey.

From a clinical standpoint, we know that albino people always have vision problems to one degree or another, and can become blind. In addition, not having pigmentation makes the skin more vulnerable to solar radiation. This makes albino people more susceptible to sunburn and skin cancer. The same could apply to animals.
[/quote]

I tend to agree. I saw a documentary on the OASIS channel about different albinos in the wild: lion, crock, monkey, etc. They glow in the dark! Hard to be stealthy, when your prey can see you a mile away. The poor baby monkey was terribly sunburned! He had scabs and sores that wouldn't heal. :(

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Derrick

5 Year Member
Well i am amazed to listen, to that you have caught so many albino animals in the wild because deficiency of pigments makes it more complicated, to cover up and therefore more complicated to cover up from should, or stay invisible from feed.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
I haven't found any albinos in the wild, yet. I have bought many albinos right after being found. However, I am offered new stuff also st every week, so people are finding them pretty regular.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
It is eating straight MAZURI now, no worm marinade needed.
78484123483d26575a5d387c31f74d66.jpg

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
That's a really cool looking turtle!!

Status
Not open for further replies.