Corky's New Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonbeam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bacliff, Galveston County, Texas
Here's some pictures of Corky's new indoor and outdoor pens.

fuxis8.jpg

22ffif.jpg

He gets to play outside about 4 hours during the week, and a little longer on the weekends. It's still pretty hot down here...96º. So inside its pretty chilly. I think I still need to get him some sort of light for his inside box.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks pretty good! Try to nestle the water and food bowls down into the substrate a bit so the sides aren't so high to climb. You definitely want that light for indoors. They have to be able to heat their body up to at least 80 degrees in order to digest their food.

Good job!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Moonbeam, You made nice enclosures for Corky. I agree with Yvonne. You really need to sink the water bowls into the substrate perhaps even place some rocks or something around it so it doesn't get too dirty too fast. What substrate do are you using for your inside enclosure? I don't think I've seen that before? It's such a great color.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Corky certainly looks happy in his new digs. I like the "driftwood" and coconut shell (?) you added. Nice touch!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Cool! Once you get heating/lighting inside (needed ASAP especially if he's in the 90s outside and then has such a big drop inside), you may want at least one warm hide and one cool hide so he has a choice. I like fake plants more thank rocks because they make great cage furnishings while having a lot of function like breaking up the line of sight, hides, shade, etc. Stuff like twigs and rocks is cool but doesn't do much for the enrichment of the tort. Even something like driftwood vs a twig can have them have something no nestle up to and hide behind. I like what you've done though! Great to see a good amount of space, water, hide, etc. Outside I think you should feed on something so the tort doesn't get the substrate. What about part of a slate tile places against the wall? $2 at a home improvement store.

Moonbeam

5 Year Member
Bacliff, Galveston County, Texas
The substrate inside is EcoEarth with 30% play sand. I think the camera's flash just made it turn out so red, also it was really moist still.

Outside, I normally do put his food on a little shallow dish for him. We had just put the pen together and we're tryin' to coerce him to walk around and check it out (faster), he was just sittin' there.

I'm growing some weeds for him and will be putting them in there soon, so he can hide more and have more stuff to trample on. The agaves are growing fast. He eats the aloe as fast as I can plant new ones in there.

I'm still researching the light, I now agree that I need one, just tryin' to find the best quality for the least amount of money.

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.