Correct substrate for my Yoshi

Teresa Follett

Location (City and/or State)
Dunedin, FL
Hello, Yoshi is a 1 1/2 year old Hermann tort. She was very active and curious until about a month ago. She does not less active mow and sleeps allot while basking under the light source.
I was feeding her mixed greens, carrots and small tort pellets. I also fed her tomatoes that I now read is not appropriate for her. I stopped doing this now, and included collard greens, turnip greens and mustard greens into the artisan lettus.
She appears weak when she walks, kind of like semi-dragging her back legs, like it appears she has no muscle mass. I take her out and let her walk around and used a "oasis" w/rocks to give her exercise.
Also her eyes appear smaller than before with small slits, barely any eyeball present. Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Tee

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Tee, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Yoshi :)
A photo of the tortoise and of your enclosure would help us to determine the problem.
Your title mentions substrate ? What are you using, now ?
What are your temperatures, basking spot, warm side, cool side and overnight low ?
Humidity ?
What is your UV source, are you using a coiled bulb, these have been known to cause eye problems.
Carrots are not a good food for tortoises, too high in sugars,
Has she got a source of calcium ?
How often do you soak her and for how long ?
Has she got access to water in a way that she can climb in and soak ?

Teresa Follett

Dunedin, FL
Hello and thank you!
Yoshi has 2 enclosures. One is an under the bed storage tote, with cypress mulch, a log, her food and water dishes, changed daily and a sleep igloo. I keep her in there when I go to work. I keep in a back roon as it is the warmest room in the house. I spray water on the mulch before I leave. She is fed a mix of 4 different kinds of lettus and tomatos, till recently as I read not to feed her too many tomatoes.
The other enclosure is a metal tray, about 24x12 with cypress mulch, food dish and water dish. That is where I have the heat lamp, red heat bulb at one end, about 5 house when I am home. When I go to bed, she is asleep on a cotton wash cloth, inside it.
I put a calcium powder on her food at times, but she does not eat enough of it so I mix in her water every few days.
I soak her in warmer water when I get home. She stays there about an hours or so. Yes,she also soaks on her own in her water as she feels the need.
Ok, sorry so long winded.
Thanks!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco