Correct substrate for my young Testudo Greco please?

iamwink

Location (City and/or State)
England
I'm so confused by so many posts regarding substrate and different tortoise types. My little Artemis, a Testudo Greco is nearly a year old. This is a different substrate to what my daughter got when we got her in May. I did research what type to use but advice is so conflicting.
It seems a bit sandy and definitely sticks to her after she soaks and also gets on her fresh food. I'm worried now as I've been using it for over a month now. Should I bin the rest and get something else?
Thanks for any help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_064801_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240909_064801_Chrome.png
    203.5 KB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Yep, I would get rid of that substrate. It contains limestone grit which encourages the tortoise to eat the substrate. That combined with sand and eating anything off the ground is a blockage risk.

The recommended substrates are coco coir and orchid (fir) bark. You can check with us with any substrate before buying!

iamwink

England
Thank you. I want to so it today after work. Will this be OK to start with
Yep, I would get rid of that substrate. It contains limestone grit which encourages the tortoise to eat the substrate. That combined with sand and eating anything off the ground is a blockage risk.

The recommended substrates are coco coir and orchid (fir) bark. You can check with us with any substrate before buying!

please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240909_081100_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240909_081100_Chrome.png
    186.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240909_081112_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240909_081112_Chrome.png
    71.6 KB · Views: 0

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi , welcome! I use orchid bark from swell reptiles or pro rep available in reptile shops or Amazon.

I like it because it is clean and does not get trodden into water or in food and injested.

iamwink

England
Thank you. I'll check it out now. I'm happy to order from Amazon going forward, but I also want to be able to buy some to swap her over today.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Thank you. I want to so it today after work. Will this be OK to start with

please?
Yep, that should be fine. For the future, especially as your tortoise starts needing a bigger space you can get similar stuff from gardening centers, amazon or hardware stores.

The goal is to keep the bottom layer damp ensuring the proper humidity, but keep the top layer from getting too wet.