Could this be septicaemia?

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi,

I posted yesterday about a red mark I’ve noticed on my tortoises shell. I’d thought it was a bruise but I’m getting a little more concerned and a member suggested I make a post about my concern it could be septicaemia.
Since then I’ve also noticed his underside seems to have a pink tinge to it?
He’s still eating fine and doesn’t seem lethargic (although, he’s always been quite lazy).
Am I just being paranoid or should I get him to the vets? Any advice/opinions are really appreciated, thank you.

IMG_8309.jpgIMG_8312.jpgIMG_8314.jpgIMG_8317.jpgIMG_8322.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi,

I posted yesterday about a red mark I’ve noticed on my tortoises shell. I’d thought it was a bruise but I’m getting a little more concerned and a member suggested I make a post about my concern it could be septicaemia.
Since then I’ve also noticed his underside seems to have a pink tinge to it?
He’s still eating fine and doesn’t seem lethargic (although, he’s always been quite lazy).
Am I just being paranoid or should I get him to the vets? Any advice/opinions are really appreciated, thank you.

View attachment 262977View attachment 262978View attachment 262979View attachment 262980View attachment 262981

I don't see that as a worry area...as I see it may be some type of pattern....however, lets get @Yvonne G and see what her eagle eye sees :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I had enquired as to what is the substrate in the enclosure.d also like to know what the tortoise is eating as regular diet and what is in the food bowl in the picture.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
His substrate is coco coir and orchard bark.
He normally eats a mix of the following; florette crispy salad mix (radicchio, lambs lettuce and frisée), rocket, watercress, violas, various lettuce, Komodo dandelion pellets and occasionally cucumber, kale, cabbage, pak Choi.
The food in his bowl there is rocket, frisee and watercress.

Could any of the above be causing him a problem?

Thanks

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Mine has a pink tinge on her plastron, the vet said it’s the inside showings through her shell. And you dropped something on him so that’s probably the reason it’s bruised in the carapace

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Mine has a pink tinge on her plastron, the vet said it’s the inside showings through her shell. And you dropped something on him so that’s probably the reason it’s bruised in the carapace

That’s what I’m hoping, thanks, maybe I’m just worrying over nothing.
But I thought if it was bruised it would be more bruise coloured? Not bright red?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Yep that's fine, bruising is just blood under the surface of the skin in humans, similar to tortoises. Did it appear after the accident? is he generally happy Andy healthy? You could book a vet checkup if your worried. Hope this helps.

Ben

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Yep that's fine, bruising is just blood under the surface of the skin in humans, similar to tortoises. Did it appear after the accident? is he generally happy Andy healthy? You could book a vet checkup if your worried. Hope this helps.

Ben

He’s eating fine but he’s been a little lethargic in the last 2 days. I’m pretty sure it appeared the day after, that’s when I first noticed it and I do observe him every day. His eyes are bright and clear though and he is active as normal when he’s being soaked. He’s going to the toilet as normal too.

Thank you, I’m probably just being paranoid, thanks for your help and reassurance. I’ll see what he’s like in a couple days and mint book him in for a check up anyway to be on the safe side.
:)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
That's good to hear, mine have been very lethargic this week as the weather is a lot cooler down south. Yep definitely get him known at your exotic vets it's very helpful and it's nice having the extra support.

All the best

Ben

Kelly.324

Durham UK
That's good to hear, mine have been very lethargic this week as the weather is a lot cooler down south. Yep definitely get him known at your exotic vets it's very helpful and it's nice having the extra support.

All the best

Ben

Thanks, he’s already registered as when I got him he was full of worms poor guy, he’s at the end of his treatment nearly now so that is hopefully cleared up :)

Kelly.324

Durham UK
I’d just like to say thanks to everyone for being so patient with me and for giving some much needed advice and reassurance, I’m just such a worry wort!
His bruise seems to have faded and I think I was just being paranoid, I guess a slightly pink tinge could just be his colouring?
He’s booked in for a check up about his worms at the vet next week and I’ll keep a close eye on him til then [emoji4]

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Don’t let the vets give him vitamin shots. They could be deadly.

Thanks I won’t, my vet is a reptile vet and has tortoises herself so hopefully wouldn’t suggest it but I’ll make sure to refuse if so. He seems otherwise fine, he’s just going for a check up re worming and general health.