Septicaemia

roxy-lou

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bedfordshire
hi everybody
My hermann came out of hibernation and developed septicaemia
As this was my first hibernation I had no ideas what septicaemia looked like and googled this site plus elsewhere - so I thought I would post some pics so that you know to act quickly if this happens to your fella or lass.
Please take them to the vet ASAP because they need antibiotics
And can be fatal but more curable if caught early
Roxy-Lou had purple tinge on her underside that just appeared. Cause was not having pooped out everything before hibernation - guess we will be waiting a few more days next time. Roxy-Lou is now fine thank God and a few injections cleared up the infection within 2 weeks

I hope this helps someone out.

CD6104A8-391A-49D7-BD05-A5C79EEB67F4.jpeg 7F00F02C-D87F-4F6B-957D-AFAC69990DA0.jpeg 33C0D26D-2800-4B59-972B-88FF773926BF.png 499E9C82-02BF-42BF-8B0D-CE95883EA52F.png 99290285-0AB1-49F9-9D5D-625243CEC8A9.jpeg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Poor baby! So glad you caught it and thanks for sharing.
Keep us posted on her recovery.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
hi everybody
As this was my first hibernation I had no ideas what septicaemia looked like and googled this site plus elsewhere - so I thought I would post some pics so that you know to act quickly if this happens to your fella or lass.
Roxy-Lou had purple tinge on her underside that just appeared. Cause was not having pooped out everything before hibernation - guess we will be waiting a few more days next time. Roxy-Lou is now fine thank God and a few injections cleared up the infection within 2 weeks

View attachment 261775 View attachment 261776 View attachment 261777 View attachment 261778 View attachment 261779
Whoa. . . that looks pretty serious.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Wow. So glad she recovered. Definitely soak her lots next time over a two week period to help her get it all out. I think that is what is recommended. I’ve never hibernated mine. I know they have great threads about it though.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
hi everybody

View attachment 261775 View attachment 261776 View attachment 261777 View attachment 261778 View attachment 261779
Yes It does help. My avatar says well known member but actually I'm very new to tortoise forum. I've learned something from you that might help my tortoise if needed. I'm going to be watching this thread for the older members opinions on septicemia and possible causes. Thanks. I'll be hoping and praying as your tortoise makes a full recovery in the meantime.