elel

Location (City and/or State)
Finland, Vantaa
Hey!
Lately I've become quite concerned of my tortoise ): We took him out of hibernation 8 days ago on sunday. On sunday he seemed usual to me, like what he's always been after hibernation. He went in his water container, drank some and then went to sleep, wasn't awake too much.
Now he has eaten almost nothing, a few nibbles of tomatoes. (Keep in mind he absolutely LOVES tomatoes.) He also has been sleeping a lot, he's awake for maybe 3-4 hours in a day and sleeps the rest.
He hasn't lost much weight though (~2g).
We've been trying to hydrate and bathe him as much as we can but we still haven't seen any change in his behavior /:
Usually he'd take around 2-3 days to start eating and acting normally after hibernation.
We've checked the temperature and humidity levels and both of them seem to be normal. He hasn't eaten any of his bedding either (he never does).
So does anything like this happen with y'all? When should I be in contact with the vet?
Today when I took him out to bathe he did urinate which is a good sign but I also think he pooped a slimey yellowish brown liquid? What could this be?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First stop feeding tomato, it's not good for them. Be sure to leave the lights on nice and bright for 12 hours.
Did you let him wake up on his own? If you woke him and forced out of brumation, he might not have been ready. I know a lot of members seem to have more unusual brumation this winter. Staying awake longer, some waking sooner then normal and some doing what yours is.
Also keep night temps higher, not below 70 until he seems to get back to 100% normal.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
My Russians don't brumate, so I'm by no means an expert in the subject, but I don't think you need to worry.

Tortoises can go an incredibly long time without eating without any downside... it's my feeling that you'd risk worse by taking them into the vet than by simply keeping up the routine you've described... soaking, good heat and humidity in their enclosure, offering appropriate foods (tomato is not an optimal food based on the picture in your icon).

You could try and mix things up a bit and offer some novel greens (especially some in the red color scheme, which seems to activate a feeding response in mine, like radicchio)... I might also try to dress some greens with some "melted" mazuri or similar tort-kibble, softened in warm water to the consistency of a salad dressing.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey!
Lately I've become quite concerned of my tortoise ): We took him out of hibernation 8 days ago on sunday. On sunday he seemed usual to me, like what he's always been after hibernation. He went in his water container, drank some and then went to sleep, wasn't awake too much.
Now he has eaten almost nothing, a few nibbles of tomatoes. (Keep in mind he absolutely LOVES tomatoes.) He also has been sleeping a lot, he's awake for maybe 3-4 hours in a day and sleeps the rest.
He hasn't lost much weight though (~2g).
We've been trying to hydrate and bathe him as much as we can but we still haven't seen any change in his behavior /:
Usually he'd take around 2-3 days to start eating and acting normally after hibernation.
We've checked the temperature and humidity levels and both of them seem to be normal. He hasn't eaten any of his bedding either (he never does).
So does anything like this happen with y'all? When should I be in contact with the vet?
Today when I took him out to bathe he did urinate which is a good sign but I also think he pooped a slimey yellowish brown liquid? What could this be?
I agree with the two previous posters.

You might find more helpful info here: