Couple inexpensive closed chamber ideas

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a bunch to search for. Most don't have floors so a tarp that's a little larger than the greenhouse will be needed.
Some of the raised garden beds should have floors.
Get one large enough to last until your tortoise can live outside or no longer needs a closed chamber. Then the greenhouse can be repurposed for a warmer tortoise area outside that he can go in and out of or to use in your garden to grow tortoise food.
20240215_075123-COLLAGE.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I put a platform under a tort table (2.5'x6'), then put my green house over the tort table and on the platform..the temperature is consistently 85 degrees w/80 to 90% humidity...DSCN1012.JPG
there's a chick brooder panel at one end and a che at the other...it is right across from a window so I don't have a basking light.DSCN0990.JPG
my main problem is the humidity runs down the plastic, over the platform and drips onto the carpet...I have pool noodles duct taped in place and they direct the water in a line to a bucketDSCN1241.JPG
I keep exotic plants in there, Layla likes to knock them over...she has a Sulcata personality in a little body...RedFoots are fun tortoises and Layla is a very easy keeper...DSCN1092.JPG
here she's eating breakfast...Spring Mix, mushrooms, cooked squash and blueberries...she will eat it all...DSCN2050.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, they can be used over tortoise tables or used as the enclosure itself. I liked using it as the enclosure.
I used a tarp floor for mine and taped it along the outside of the greenhouse. This way everything stays inside the greenhouse.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just for additional ideas, here is my setup. Note however, I have a Russian/Horsfield, so humidity is not my main concern. This is to keep his winter enclosure warm just from bulbs. I could easily cover the other half of his enclosure as well, but he never uses it so didn't bother. Third pic is him having breakfast inside the tarp when I took these photos. I would not use "tortoise houses" for high humid situations like redfeet, they'll rot pretty quickly, but I inherited some of these when I got him, so i'm using them until they rot out. Would need about six of these the correct full time indoor enclosure size for a Russian, still too small for a Redfood. BUT point being, these portable greenhouses are useful and versatile...

Attachments

• IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    571.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7927.jpg
    IMG_7927.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7929.jpg
    IMG_7929.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 8