A Closed Chamber Caution

JDW

Good day forum members. I'm new to the forum but am grateful for all of the wisdom and knowledge I've gained as a reader over the years. I wanted to share an experience I had recently. I live in Northern Utah and keep marginated tortoises. I've been experimenting with a closed chamber setup for a baby marginated. I found this inexpensive greenhouse on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VANWAE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 . It looked great. My plastic tub fit perfectly on the bottom shelf and a CHE and a UVA/B fit on the top shelf. With a thermostat I was able to maintain near perfect heat and humidity levels for days at time.

However, the air quality inside the enclosure is terrible, due to the plastic (PVC) cover. The smell/fumes give me a headache. Needless to say, it's unsuitable for a tortoise. Has anyone else had this experience with using plastic sheeting in closed chambers, and are there any recommended solutions? Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks for sharing your experience with this product.

And welcome to the forum.

JDW

I've seen several closed-chamber setups that use plastic sheeting. I guess I'm looking for recommendations on the type of plastics/other materials that have been used successfully. I'd like to create a new cover out of safer material.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Good day forum members. I'm new to the forum but am grateful for all of the wisdom and knowledge I've gained as a reader over the years. I wanted to share an experience I had recently. I live in Northern Utah and keep marginated tortoises. I've been experimenting with a closed chamber setup for a baby marginated. I found this inexpensive greenhouse on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VANWAE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 . It looked great. My plastic tub fit perfectly on the bottom shelf and a CHE and a UVA/B fit on the top shelf. With a thermostat I was able to maintain near perfect heat and humidity levels for days at time.

However, the air quality inside the enclosure is terrible, due to the plastic (PVC) cover. The smell/fumes give me a headache. Needless to say, it's unsuitable for a tortoise. Has anyone else had this experience with using plastic sheeting in closed chambers, and are there any recommended solutions? Thank you.
Have you ever tried simply to cover the top of the enclosure with foil..custom ariund where yiur fixture (s) hang over..works well and no smell...

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
That is not so good you found the smell from the plastic to effect you. The same thing can happen in new factory built mobile homes, for months after delivery many occupants relate a similar headache, nausea issue.

The kind of plastic you describe might well have a high content of "VOC's" or volatile organic compounds. Foil has none.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You could always remove the plastic film it comes with and substitute the plastic that comes on a roll. I use that all the time to cover my tortoise houses and plants for the winter. I buy the 6 mil. I also cut pieces and cover my indoor habitats during the winter. It doesn't smell at all. The only thing, it's not clear like what comes with the greenhouse. It's opaque.

Maybe you could allow it to sit in the sun for a week or so (open) and see if the fumes dissipate.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Fabric stores and walmarts that sell fabric have a clear plastic that is thicker than 6 mil, (can't remember how thick) 54 inches wide, sold by the yard. I use this and some of the thicker ones that are not as clear and never noticed a smell from any of them.

JDW

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I'll get something put together this weekend.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yep, plastic sheeting. For smaller enclosures you can use heave clear shower curtains.