Cracked shell help!!!!

Rjc1123

I found a smaller turtle crossing the road and pull off down the road toborlnand get him. He was struck by a car and has a crack on his shell and part of his eye is damaged . Can't find a vet in the area to help him what do I do? I don't even know if he is still alive. Help please...

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Rjc,

I am in no way able to give you any advice on care for your poor little friend, but I am fairly certain that you will be asked for pictures of the turtle and the damage. That might help get things moving in the meantime, while you wait for someone of experience to answer your post.

Best of luck :<3:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, pictures please. Keep it for now in a warm place around 80 degrees, with only paper towels as a substrate to keep the wound clean. Give it a warm water soak for about 20-30 minutes, they will dehydrate quickly with a trauma. @Yvonne G has rehabbed many, with pictures of the damage, she might be able to help you further. Good luck. And Thanks for caring enough to help it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your best bet is to try to find a wildlife rehabber in your area and turn the turtle over to them. Local vets may be able to help you with a number for a rehabber. Or you can do a Google search including your city and 'turtle rescue'

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to have just read your post of that poor creature. As was said, please post pictures as soon as possible, so as to get help.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.